Information Architect and Digital Librarian - RStudio
paid / remote / full-time
RStudio's education team is looking for our first Information Architect and Digital Librarian. In this role, you will design RStudio practices for managing and sharing digital information with employees, our customers, and the R community. You will also guide RStudio in how best to help our users find solutions to their problems among our many digital resources.
In short, you will help us organize our digital assets so that we can find things quickly and easily. We hope for you to be the Marie Kondo of our cluttered information closets.
Since this is a newly created position you will play a large role in shaping it. Some of your first projects will include:
- Critiquing and refining the personas representing our internal and external users.
- Partnering with the Education Team on how to organize our educational materials and courseware,
- Collaborating with product teams to determine the best way to organize our product documentation and administrative guides.
- Researching how the company uses multiple cloud services and recommending how to improve the company's discoverability of information.
- Advocate for and promote your digital stewardship process and its rationale to help others who find themselves in a similar digital morass.
While this role will begin as part of the education team, we expect it to evolve into a company-wide position.
- A Master’s degree in Library & Information Science or an equivalent qualification.
- At least 3 years of relevant full-time work (e.g., organizing a digital archive, re-architecting a large library’s website, or designing and implementing guidelines for information management in a hospital).
- Strong written and oral communication skills; we need to hear your voice when making decisions about how to curate our knowledge.
- Ability to influence others while working independently.
Nice to haves
- Experience with R, RStudio, and data science would be particularly helpful.
- Hands-on experience with Git and GitHub.
- Teaching experience in topics related to information architecture and organization.
- Programming experience writing scripts to automate repetitive tasks and to encourage best practices in information creation.
- Experience creating policies to manage information stored in cloud-based services such as Google Docs and Github.
- A record of active participation in open access/open science/open data communities.
- Preference will be given to candidates located in the United States or Canada.
If you have an information architecture portfolio, please include a link or other demonstration of your work.
RStudio employees are a lean, distributed team, passionate about making data science accessible to people all over the world, regardless of economic means. We are an organization that values talent, humility, and hard work over hierarchy.
People who thrive at RStudio are generally relatively technical for their line of work. The use of R is growing outside its traditional scientific domains, and we want you to be excited about its potential to increase data understanding and literacy. To achieve this goal, we offer RStudio employees:
- A fully-remote working environment. We are remote friendly and many people work from home or a coffee shop. We also have offices in Boston and Seattle.
- Competitive salary with great benefits including medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered), 401k matching, a home office allowance, and a profit-sharing system.
- Your choice of hardware—we want to equip you with what you need to do your best work.
- The ability to choose their amount of travel. Many of us attend conferences and community events regularly, others may prefer to spend more time at home. Both choices are supported within the company.
- A one time allowance to outfit their home office for all full-time employees
- A flexible environment with excellent benefits and a “take what you need” vacation policy.
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.