RStudio no longer starts after having switched to 32-bit R

Error Information:

Description of issue - R studio won't start after having switched from 64-bit R to 32-bit in global options. I don't actually need to use 32-bit R, I was simply investigating why the RODBC package is no longer connecting to a database to which it was connecting just fine until today. Unfortunately, I now cannot launch Rstudio to be able to switch back to 64-bit R.

Attempted steps taken to fix - Uninstalled and reinstalled Rstudio. Renamed Rprofile file in the R home directory and renamed recently saved .Rdata files in case one of these was causing the issue.

System Information:

• RStudio Edition: Desktop
  • RStudio Version: 2022.07.1+554
  • OS Version: Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64
  • R Version: 4.0.5
  • Output your diagnostics report (if possible):

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

RStudio 2022.07.1+554, "Spotted Wakerobin" (7872775e, 2022-07-22) for Windows

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtWebEngine/5.12.8 Chrome/69.0.3497.128 Safari/537.36

Error message

[No error available]

Process Output

The R session exited with code 1.

Error output:

[19848:13988:20220912,075318.263:ERROR crashpad_client_win.cc:491] CreateProcess: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

Logs

C:/Users/strobrid/AppData/Local/RStudio/log/rsession-STROBRID.log

2022-09-12T11:53:18.264262Z [rsession-STROBRID] ERROR system error 22 (The device does not recognize the command); OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::crash_handler::initialize(enum rstudio::core::crash_handler::ProgramMode) src/cpp/core/CrashHandler.cpp:358; LOGGED FROM: int __cdecl main(int,char *const []) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\SessionMain.cpp:2007
2022-09-12T11:53:18.266263Z [rsession-STROBRID] ERROR system error 22 (The device does not recognize the command); OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::crash_handler::initialize(enum rstudio::core::crash_handler::ProgramMode) src/cpp/core/CrashHandler.cpp:358; LOGGED FROM: int __cdecl main(int,char *const []) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\SessionMain.cpp:2057
2022-09-12T11:53:18.266263Z [rsession-STROBRID] ERROR system error 22 (The device does not recognize the command); OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::crash_handler::initialize(enum rstudio::core::crash_handler::ProgramMode) src/cpp/core/CrashHandler.cpp:358; LOGGED FROM: int __cdecl main(int,char *const []) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\SessionMain.cpp:2057

1 Like

You can change it by holding the Ctrl key while opening RStudio, then you should see this menu.

thanks. i just did this and, unfortunately, got the same thing. i also tried the "specific version" option with no luck. R itself works. i guess i should upgrade to latest version of R? i'm not sure why this is just happening now because i've been using this combination of R and Rstudio for several months now.

sorry, it does work now. I had renamed the Rcmd_environ and Rconsole and Rprofile.site files in process of trying to figure out why Rstudio wouldn't load, but i guess these also caused R not run. i removed my renaming prefix from them and now regular R console runs and Rstudio also runs now that your ctrl suggestion got me back into 64-bit mode. thanks for that! i never would have figured that out on my own.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.