RStudio not connecting to R session, hanging when quitting, etc

I have looked around, I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right place, but I am having a lot of problems with RStudio. I have used RStudio for years, and this is the first time this has happened. I have been working on an RMarkdown project, and everything has been fine, but all of a sudden, my R session keeps hanging and breaking and I don't know what to do about it, given that I don't think I changed anything. And yes, I upgraded to the most recent version of RStudio just in case.

It's important to note, given this post that I have been using a GitHub-hosted package (rblissett/pubpub) in my project (the project itself it not in GitHub). However, I have been using that package for a while now, and RStudio has only recently been trouble. I ran diagnostics, and I see a whole bunch of "ERROR system error 3 (The system cannot find the path specified)" and "ERROR system error 5 (Access is denied)" issues at the end.

EDIT: Some more detail about what I see...

1. When I press [ENTER] in console, there is often a long lag before the next line appears.
  2. I can't knit anything - the button doesn't do anything.
  3. When I try to quit, it will often hang with "Quitting R Session..." spinning forever.
  4. I can't open new scripts or files.

Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I managed to get it all back by resetting RStudio's Desktop state (here). However, I've seen people saying this is only a temporary fix. Any ideas about what went wrong would be great.

Glad to hear resetting RStudio's state got you out of that hole! Unfortunately, it's tough to know what exactly could have lead to this hang.

If it occurs again, it would be helpful if you could share your project's sources with us so we can try to reproduce the issue locally.

1 Like

If it breaks down again, I'll try to be more cognizant of what I'm doing at the time so I can provide better information about that. Thanks.

1 Like