RStudio not starting due to special characters (Finnish) after RStudio update July 2022

Error Information:

Description of issue -
I have updated RStudio to the 2022.07.1 release. After doing this I have this main error:

[5916:15972:20220727,101905.256:ERROR crash_report_database_win.cc:586] CreateDirectory C:/Users/Käyttäjä/AppData/Local/R/crashpad_database: The system cannot find the path specified. (3)

Attempted steps taken to fix -

• I cannot change the Käyttäjä (user) folder name and have tried to save RStudio in different folders to avoid the path.
  • When I type this path into the control panel it finds the folder - so it exists
  • This problem has to derive from the update somehow as RStudio was working correctly this morning
  • As I cannot even start RStudio I cannot apply any other solution such as Sys.setlocale(locale = "Chinese") as I have seen suggested in others who had problems with special characters in January.

The problem report is here - please say if you need any more information!

System Information:

• R Version: 4.0.5

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

RStudio 2022.07.1+554, "Spotted Wakerobin" (7872775e, 2022-07-22) for Windows

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtWebEngine/5.12.8 Chrome/69.0.3497.128 Safari/537.36

Error message

[No error available]

Process Output

The R session exited with code 1.

Error output:

[5916:15972:20220727,101905.256:ERROR crash_report_database_win.cc:586] CreateDirectory C:/Users/Käyttäjä/AppData/Local/R/crashpad_database: The system cannot find the path specified. (3)

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

Logs

C:/Users/Käyttäjä/AppData/Local/RStudio/log/rsession-joanna.log

2022-07-27T07:19:05.256764Z [rsession-joanna] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified); OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::crash_handler::initialize(enum rstudio::core::crash_handler::ProgramMode) src/cpp/core/CrashHandler.cpp:322; LOGGED FROM: int __cdecl main(int,char *const []) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\SessionMain.cpp:2007
2022-07-27T07:19:05.268856Z [rsession-joanna] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified); OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::crash_handler::initialize(enum rstudio::core::crash_handler::ProgramMode) src/cpp/core/CrashHandler.cpp:322; LOGGED FROM: int __cdecl main(int,char *const []) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\SessionMain.cpp:2057
2022-07-27T07:19:05.268856Z [rsession-joanna] ERROR system error 2 (The system cannot find the file specified); OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::crash_handler::initialize(enum rstudio::core::crash_handler::ProgramMode) src/cpp/core/CrashHandler.cpp:322; LOGGED FROM: int __cdecl main(int,char *const []) C:\Users\jenkins\workspace\ide\open-source-pipeline\spotted-wakerobin\src\cpp\session\SessionMain.cpp:2057

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

Have you decided your problem?

Sorry I don't really understand? My problem is that RStudio won't open after updating, which appears to be because of the special characters in Käyttäjä in my directory. I don't know what I can do about this as it was working beforehand - can you help, please?

Sorry, I ask because I have the same problem and I cann't open Rstudio

Do you have windows 8?

I have windows 10 - can I ask what language your system is in?

Sorry
my language is Russian and I have windows 8. I thouth the problem was in the version of wibdows

Good night,
I have the same problem after upgrading to RStudio 2022.07.1+554, "Spotted Wakerobin" (7872775e, 2022-07-22) for Windows, using Windows 10 in Spanish:

[24260:22308:20220815,215355.776:ERROR crash_report_database_win.cc:586] CreateDirectory C:/Users/José Lxxx xxxxxxx/AppData/Local/R/crashpad_database: El sistema no puede encontrar la ruta especificada. (3)

I suppose the problem is on the é (é) character . In fact everything seems ok if I launch RStudio using another Windows user whithout special characters nor spaces in the name.

¿Any hint?
Thanks in advance,
José Luis

Hi! After searching for a long time I finally solved the problem. I am not sure if this is the best way to solve it - but at least my RStudio opens.

I went into the problem folder, left clicked properties and changed the permissions to make sure that there was permission to write folders within this folder. After this RStudio opens and packages update.

Hope this helps!

Good afternoon:
It didn't work for me. Tried to change permissions on
C:/Users/José Lxxx xxxxxxx/AppData/Local/R
and even created the
C:/Users/José Lxxx xxxxxxx/AppData/Local/R/crashpad_database
directory, but I keep getting the same error.

Thanks anyway.
Regards,
José Luis.

I think you're seeing this issue: Can't start the version 2022.07.1+554 on Windows 10 with a german umlaut in my username · Issue #11717 · rstudio/rstudio · GitHub

Does it work if you create a Windows user with only ASCII characters in the username, and start RStudio as that user?

In case you can't create a new account. I think you need to give it permission to write the crashpad_database directory otherwise you will just have this error again and again for every folder that RStudio needs to create! (Although this is definitely a hack rather than a good solution)

Hi, Jonathan:

Yes, everything seems ok if I launch RStudio using another Windows user whithout special characters nor spaces in the name. I think the problem arises when traslating 'é' to 'é' in the user directory name (maybe Windows-1252 to UTF-8 conversion?)
Thanks.

Hi, Josimms:

I have another user, and I can even use a Linux machine, and everything runs like a charm in those cases. But it's a workaround and not a solution, as you wrote.
Changing the directories permissions didn't change anything, BTW.
Thanks,
José Luis.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.