Rstudio panes nonresponsive

Hello all,

I have a recurring issue where the RStudio IDE panes freeze and typically remain frozen for at least several minutes and I usually just close the IDE and restart (which resolves it). Interestingly, the IDE only seems to freeze visually (I can still type in the script, save it, and see my changes upon restarting the IDE, but my cursor and the typed text won't appear since the panes are frozen), and only the panes seem to freeze (all of the option bars at the top of the page are fully functional, and dropdown menus render even ontop of the frozen panes).

This issue has no discernible trigger - it can happen after having run very little code, while code is running, or while the IDE is sitting idle.
I have most recently been having this issue on RStudio v1.2.5042 and R v4.0.2, but this issue has persisted through 1 previous RStudio version and 2 previous R version (not sure which numbers).
Any thoughts?

Thank you for your help!

I've had this same problem in the past, running RStudio 1.2.5042 and R 3.6.3 on Windows 10 1909 (and earlier versions).

Not sure what causes it, but it usually occurs for me when I have long-running scripts or local jobs.

I did find a workaround though. Resizing the (Windows) taskbar seemed to force RStudio to resize / refresh the IDE content and from there it worked perfectly.

Not sure if the problem can be resolved just by maximsing / restoring the RStudio window too since that would similarly for RStudio to resize, but I'll try that if the issue comes up again.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out next time it comes up.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.