RStudio panes un-minimize even when no tabs update & other pane pains

I'm having lots of issues with RStudio panes.

1. I like to have a 3 pane layout most of the time so that my source pane can be full length. RStudio won't allow you to remove all the items from one quadrant, so I leave one item that I never use in one and move everything else to the other. However, when I plot or do any other activity that causes the plot pane to open, it also un-minimized the unwanted pane. Super annoying.

2. I actually want to focus the plot pane when I create a new plot and I have some other tab open in that pane. Often Rstudio won't switch to it.

3. When I have a zoomed plot window open, it should come to the foreground when I create a new plot. It doesn't.

4. When I hit "Zoom" when a plot zoom window is already open, it should come to the foreground. It doesn't.

Any help would be appreciated. Is this the expected behavior or is something wrong with my install?

This is intentional, since normally after one executes a plot command they'd prefer to see the generated plot immediately. This, of course, is not true in your workflow.

This seems unintentional -- any chance you would be able to provide a reproducible example?

Would you mind filing this as a feature request at Issues · rstudio/rstudio · GitHub?

Similarly, a feature request here would be appreciated.

We are thinking about what it would take to move away from the current quadrant-based layout used by RStudio, to allow users more room in customizing and re-organizing the panes used by RStudio (as you are trying to do). I can't promise any timeline but it's high on our list of things to tackle next.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.