RStudio partially hangs when opening a specific .R file within a project

Here's a weird bug I have with RStudio 1.4.1717 on Windows 10:

RStudio partially freezes (see below) when I open one of several specific .R files within a project.

• I can open the file when not in a project
  • Opening the file is enough to cause the issue, I don't need to edit it or do anything.
  • I can open and edit other .R files in the same folder without any problems
  • Deleting .Rproj.user does not help
  • A fresh checkout from Git does not help
  • Removing the .git subfolder does not help
  • Renaming AppData\Local\RStudio does not help
  • Renaming AppData\Roaming\RStudio does not help
  • I cannot inspect request log as the it is not shown after I click the menu item
  • Nothing new is seen in the rdesktop.log, although I have an older entry with:
12 Aug 2021 08:59:23 [rdesktop] ERROR system error 3 (The system cannot find the path specified) 
[path: C:/Users/modrak_m/AppData/Local/R/crash-handler.conf, target-path: C:/Users/modrak_m/AppData/Roaming/RStudio/crash-handler.conf]; 
OCCURRED AT class rstudio::core::Error __cdecl rstudio::core::FilePath::copy(const class rstudio::core::FilePath &,bool) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:782; 
LOGGED FROM: void __cdecl rstudio::core::crash_handler::`anonymous-namespace'::readOptions(void) src/cpp/core/CrashHandler.cpp:138

By "partially freeze" i mean that:

• the UI still reacts, I can edit text or open menus
  • however, no action is actually ever performed, be it saving a file, opening a diagnostics log or listing contents of a directory after I click on it in the "Files view"

Update:

Renaming the library folder (Documents/R/win-library) does remove the issue. I tried manually removing some RStudio addins that could be potentially problematic ("bookdown", "clipr", "job" , "reprex", "datapasta"), but that didn't help. It however appears, that removing the whole library and reinstalling all packages freshly removes the issue.

Marking as solved, hope this helps somebody in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.