Software Engineer (Full-Stack) - RStudio Cloud - RStudio PBC
paid / USA-remote / full-time
The RStudio Cloud team is seeking a candidate for a Full-Stack Software Engineer. Our products are designed to help professionals, hobbyists, trainers, teachers and students to more easily do, share, teach and learn data science using the R language.
About the job
This is a position as a member of a cross-functional team working daily with developers of various stripes, QA engineers, product managers, and site reliability engineers. We envision this role to be a mix of back-end (80%) and front-end (%20) work. You will be involved with a wide variety of tasks related to the developing the RStudio Cloud platform, including:
- designing, building, testing and maintaining front-end and back-end code for client facing applications,
- participating in requirements-gathering and design sessions,
- monitoring and troubleshooting production environments,
- participating in an on-call rotation to ensure 24/7 availability,
- mentoring and providing feedback to other engineers in the form of code reviews,
- interacting with and supporting our users at conferences and through our community forums,
- collaborating iteratively to build great software.
You are user-focused and are driven by our mission to facilitate science and education for everyone. You share our commitment to building great software, and you have an appreciation for elegant design, clean code, and delightful user experiences. You are humble, pragmatic, deliberate, and you have a keen sense of empathy for your co-workers and customers. You love to learn and to help others succeed. You also have:
- a passion for designing elegant REST based APIs,
- an understanding of database schema design for relational and non-relational databases,
- comfortability deploying code and running services using cloud provided infrastructure,
- a commitment to and experience with writing tests,
- excellent communication skills and the ability to function effectively in a distributed team,
- a love of well-written documentation,
- and a passion for leaving things better than you found them.
Bonus points if you
- have proficiency with Python 3 (especially using asyncio or tornado),
- have familiarity with React, React Router, redux, redux-saga, Jest, Enzyme, webpack, ESLint, etc.,
- have experience working with or building microservice based architectures,
- have experience working with containerization using Docker, Kuberneter, Amazon ECS, etc.
We are a fun-loving and diverse group who share a passion for building high-quality software and delivering a great user experience. Our team members live in various locations across the United States (and occasionally elsewhere!) and work together via Slack, holding regularly scheduled and ad-hoc video calls, and communicating our ideas through documents, images, and code (and code reviews). We also travel to meet in person several times a year for company-wide events, team building, and high-level planning exercises.
- We welcome all talented engineers and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms .
- We prioritize giving engineers “ focus time ” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model : 50% of engineering we do at RStudio is open source. We are profitable and we plan to be around twenty years from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k Matching
- A home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- A profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.