Rstudio plot viewer crashes with ggsave and ggalt combination (Desktop and Cloud)

Running this code causes the plot viewer to stop functioning. It worked for me a week ago, and although I've updated to R4, the same crash occurs on RStudio cloud when I've tested it there today (SessionInfo says cloud is running R3.6) See cloud project here (https://rstudio.cloud/project/1219353).

#ggsave of ggplot crashes viewer

# install.packages("tidyverse")
# install.packages("ggalt")

library(tidyverse)
library(ggalt)

plot(cars)

#This Works
p <- ggplot(mtcars, aes(x=hp, y=mpg, group = cyl, colour=cyl))+
  geom_point(size=1)+
  theme(legend.position = "none")
p
ggsave("my plot 1.png", plot = p)

#This crashes
p <- ggplot(mtcars, aes(x=hp, y=mpg, group = cyl, colour=cyl))+
  geom_point(size=1)+
  theme(legend.position = "none") +
  geom_xspline(spline_shape = -0.5, size=0.5, linetype=2) #adding this line causes ggsave not to work, and crashes plot viewer
p
ggsave("my plot 2.png", plot = p)
sessionInfo()
> sessionInfo()
R version 4.0.0 (2020-04-24)
Platform: i386-w64-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 18363)

Matrix products: default

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_New Zealand.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_New Zealand.1252    LC_MONETARY=English_New Zealand.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C                         LC_TIME=English_New Zealand.1252    

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

other attached packages:
 [1] ggalt_0.4.0     forcats_0.5.0   stringr_1.4.0   dplyr_0.8.5     purrr_0.3.4     readr_1.3.1     tidyr_1.0.2    
 [8] tibble_3.0.1    ggplot2_3.3.0   tidyverse_1.3.0

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
 [1] tidyselect_1.0.0   haven_2.2.0        lattice_0.20-41    colorspace_1.4-1   vctrs_0.2.4        generics_0.0.2    
 [7] rlang_0.4.5        pillar_1.4.3       glue_1.4.0         withr_2.2.0        DBI_1.1.0          dbplyr_1.4.3      
[13] RColorBrewer_1.1-2 modelr_0.1.6       readxl_1.3.1       lifecycle_0.2.0    munsell_0.5.0      gtable_0.3.0      
[19] cellranger_1.1.0   rvest_0.3.5        labeling_0.3       extrafont_0.17     fansi_0.4.1        Rttf2pt1_1.3.8    
[25] broom_0.5.6        Rcpp_1.0.4.6       KernSmooth_2.23-16 scales_1.1.0       backports_1.1.6    jsonlite_1.6.1    
[31] farver_2.0.3       fs_1.4.1           proj4_1.0-10       digest_0.6.25      hms_0.5.3          packrat_0.5.0     
[37] stringi_1.4.6      ash_1.0-15         grid_4.0.0         cli_2.0.2          tools_4.0.0        magrittr_1.5      
[43] maps_3.3.0         extrafontdb_1.0    crayon_1.3.4       pkgconfig_2.0.3    ellipsis_0.3.0     MASS_7.3-51.5     
[49] xml2_1.3.1         reprex_0.3.0       lubridate_1.7.8    assertthat_0.2.1   httr_1.4.1         rstudioapi_0.11   
[55] R6_2.4.1           nlme_3.1-147       compiler_4.0.0  

Issue raised at ggalt and ggplot - it could be one or both, a temporary workaround discussed there.


This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.