Senior Revenue Accountant
RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core is an open-source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
The mission of our Finance team is to provide high quality, timely, accurate, clear and complete financial statements, analyses and financial information in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations and U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (“U.S. GAAP”) in order to meet the Company’s internal, external and regulatory financial reporting obligations. We operate with high-integrity and provide our internal and external stakeholders with responsive, direct and honest communication.
As we grow, we are looking to add another member to this talented and dedicated team. The Senior Revenue Accountant will play a key role in our growing team, establishing and contributing to a collaborative team culture focused on driving continuous improvement in both the business and the finance organization.
The Senior Revenue Accountant will manage the revenue accounting operations and play a key role in the monthly close process. This role contributes collaboratively to ensure compliance with accounting policies, procedures and internal controls. This is a crucial role that will assist in overseeing revenue accounting in a fast paced and hyper growth environment. This role offers a unique opportunity to not only own the revenue accounting, but also to establish the RStudio revenue accounting function. The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and software revenue recognition principles, excellent technical and communication skills, and the ability to partner effectively across business functions.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following areas:
- Drive the revenue close process for all revenue streams.
- Prepare revenue / deferred revenue journal entries and related general ledger account reconciliations.
- Review sales orders to ensure proper revenue recognition.
- Serve as subject matter expert for revenue recognition (ASC 606).
- Implement and maintain the revenue recognition policy documentation and related internal control procedures.
- Development and maintenance of ASC 606 stand-alone selling price calculations.
- Assist with financial audits including reconciliations, support documentation, and communication with external auditors.
Reporting and Analytics
- Prepare detailed bookings analysis and reconciliations.
- Prepare SaaS metrics such as Annual Contract Value, Customer Churn, Average Revenue per Account and Average Selling Price.
- Review, reconcile, and file sales tax returns in Avalara.
- Support and collaborate with Finance colleagues.
- Complete ad-hoc reporting and analytical support for the finance and business teams as necessary.
- Evaluate current revenue processes, accounting, systems and procedures to identify areas for additional efficiencies.
- Partner with the sales operations team to understand and document the quote to order process in Salesforce.
- Assist with ERP system implementation/improvements and other finance projects.
- Perform technical accounting analysis.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required, CPA or CMA a plus.
- 4+ years of relevant experience preferably in the software industry or public accounting.
- Excellent understanding of U.S. GAAP, particularly software revenue recognition under ASC 606.
- Strong knowledge and experience in the Quote to Cash process.
- Ability to collaborate in a cross functional team environment including Sales and Finance colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive, analytical, and use critical and strategic thinking to solve complex problems.
- Shows initiative by seeking ways to improve processes and data analysis.
- Possess excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with NetSuite, Salesforce, Avalara and Microsoft Office Excel.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary with great benefits including medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered), 401k matching, home office allowance, 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents, and a profit-sharing plan.
- 100% remote (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston), minimal travel
- Pick your hardware — we want to equip you with the tools to do your best work
- Flexible environment with a “take what you need” vacation policy
Working at RStudio:
The people of RStudio share a common set of beliefs that inform our work:
- Three powerful forces — the enthusiastic engagement we enjoy from our open-source community ; the trusted relationships we have built with our commercial customers ; and the well-being and commitment of our team — carry equal weight in how we define and measure our success.
- We make thoughtful and sustainable financial decisions, because the long-term health of our business is what will enable us to deliver work that benefits our community, our customers, and our team for years to come.
- We don’t believe in hierarchical command and control. RStudio is bound together by our shared mission, not an office address or set of organizational charts.
- While we insist on producing consistently excellent work, we know that the journey to get there may be different for each person and team. We provide space for both focused time and active collaboration in our day-to-day work.
- We treat our customers, community members, and colleagues with kindness, humility, transparency, and integrity. We also try not to take ourselves too seriously. We are committed to maintaining a respectful, inclusive, and open environment that enables amazing contributions — not just within our own company, but across the global, diverse communities and customers that we serve.
We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.