rstudio-server-1.4.1717-amd64.deb upgrade (debian9 version) fails (ssl library missing)

under ubuntu 16

I tried to use the ubuntu debian 9 latest RStudio download from:

https://download2.rstudio.org/server/debian9/x86_64/rstudio-server-1.4.1717-amd64.deb

(ref: Size: 57.87 MB | SHA-256: 7f57a892 | Version: 1.4.1717| Released: 2021-06-01)

but it creates an instance which fails to start

I reverted to the previous version 1712 (for ubuntu 16) which works.

It seems the new debian 9 package does not refer/link to the right ssl source library

sudo rstudio-server verify-installation
/usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

The problem is that Ubuntu 16.04 is no longer supported both by Ubuntu and by RStudio. I see four possibilities in descending order of desirability:

• Upgrade your operating system to a recent version, e.g. Ubuntu 20.04.
  • Stick with the last version of RStudio Server supported on Ubuntu 16.04.
  • Compile RStudio Server from source.
  • Find backports of libraries needed to run RStudio Server as compiled for some other OS. Debian 9 is a good starting point since that is also quite old. But note that Debian 11 was recently released and hence you won't get builds for current RStudio Server for Debian 9 for long.

Thanks, this is indeed the best case scenario. Unfortunately I have no control on the OS version (University ITs) which is my main issue here. I Will stick to the current RStudio until I get the server upgraded.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.