Rstudio-server broken after upgrade to ubuntu 18.04

Rstudio-server cannot start after upgrade the system form ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04.

Run
sudo rstudio-server verify-installation

give error

/usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.0.2: version `OPENSSL_1.0.2d' not found (required by /usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver)
/usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.2: version `OPENSSL_1.0.2d' not found (required by /usr/lib/rstudio-server/bin/rserver)
Job for rstudio-server.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status rstudio-server.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

re-install openssl or rstudio-server do not fix the issue.

any help?

2 Likes

I am facing the same issue.

What version of RStudio Server are you running? I was able to successfully install and run RStudio Server v1.1.447 (open source) on Ubuntu 18.04.

V 1.1.447 from the Rstudio website.

I'm also on Ubuntu 18.04 , which is upgraded form Ubuntu 16.04.

Ubuntu 16 and Ubuntu 18 require different versions of RStudio Server because of the libssl upgrade. Can you try installing the Ubuntu 17+ version from our website?

https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download-server/

Just jumped on here to confirm that I'm having the same issue. I'm on a completely fresh Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine and got the libssl.so.1.0.2 not found error. I double-checked and made sure that I had installed the rstudio-server-stretch-1.1.447-amd64.deb package for Ubuntu 17+.

Then, out of curiosity, I uninstalled the broken Ubuntu 17+ package and installed the Ubuntu 16 rstudio-server-1.1.447-amd64.deb one. This worked out-of-the-box and I now have RStudio Server running on port 8787 with no additional configuration.

To summarize: for me, the "correct" Ubuntu 17+ package didn't work, but the old Ubuntu 16 package did.

2 Likes

It still doesn't work. However, the same as anon_1, I install the ubuntu 16 version, and it works.

Yes, it also works for me. Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Definitely. Glad it wasn't just me!

2 Likes

Can confirm, using the 16.04 install on 18.04 was the solution for me as well.

1 Like

Both the "Debian 9+" and "Debian 8/Ubuntu" versions of the deb packages list in their dependencies libssl1.0.0 | libssl1.0.2 – based on my own experience and this thread, this is too relaxed. Could the package maintainers confirm this and possibly correct the dependencies to the level actually required?

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (fresh install); the "Debian 9+" version complained about missing libssl.so.1.0.2, even though according to the package manifest, either that or 1.0.0 (installed) should work.