Rstudio server extremely slow when .git file is present

Hello,

I have noticed that with all my projects with a .git in the project folder, Rstudio is extremely slow - it will take minutes to become operational; visualising the content of the different windows or executing simple commands in console. If I remove the .git file and reload the project, it goes back to normal.

Thanks
Francesci

Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS

R version 3.6.1 (2019-07-05) -- "Action of the Toes"
Copyright (C) 2019 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

RStudio version 1.2.5019 (Elderflower)

Hi @francesco

I'm on a 19.10 derivative, which should make no never mind, but don't have that problem.

Could you check to see that .git is a directory and not a file?

Are other git actions in that directory similarly slow? What happens if you try to run

git status

from the terminal in that project directory?

You can also try running:

Sys.setenv(RSTUDIO_GIT_LOG = "1")

to see what git actions RStudio is taking behind the scenes, to see which of those in particular are slow (if that is indeed the case).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Yes, that's probably the problem. All git operations are extremely slow (I have large files manage with LFS) and sync with a Gitlab repo. Any idea on how to speed it up?

.git is a folder. Why does it matter?

1 Like

Simply because it should be a folder. If it were a file, instead, RStudio might have been churning trying to treat it as a directory with subdirectories and files in standard places and crumping when they weren't there.

Unfortunately, I think the only option currently would be to disable RStudio's git integration.

You might consider filing this as a feature request at https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues -- RStudio could better handle cases like this.

2 Likes