Rstudio server extremely unresponsive, often times out regardless of task

Dear forum,
Rstudio notebook hangs before executing code, often over 15 seconds between Ctrl-entering a line and the actual execution of the code. When the IDE finally un-freeze, it sometimes pops an error message like: " Error in file(file, "wb") : cannot open the connection", "Error in grid.newpage() : could not open file" or similar.

This is issue is inconsistent, increasingly frequent and extremely annoying.
It doesn't seem to depend on the computational requirements of whatever I'm trying to run.

I am using rstudio server Version 1.4.1106 on Ubuntu Xenial, but I had the same issues on other ubuntu workstations. It's really infuriating.

Do you have any idea how to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Have you tried the most recent version of RStudio Server (2021.09.1)? This sounds a lot like this bug: Intermittent file read error in R Markdown documents · Issue #9284 · rstudio/rstudio · GitHub

Thanks for the tip Jon.
I actually got the latest Rstudio, but the desktop version, hoping it won't have the same issues.
There were no intermittent errors, but it was still unusually slow.
I noticed a heavy pandoc process running whenever there was slowdown, so I used an Rmarkdown document instead of the notebook and the problem was fixed!

Is it by design? I know there is a knitted file constantly updating while writing a notebook, but it never made it go that slow...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.