Rstudio Server: login page not showing up after adding SSL certs to server

I have a VM hosted by Google cloud that runs a shiny server and Rstudio server, both open source versions. It was working perfectly for many months. I finally got the GCP admins to add SSL to the server. In GCP the SSL part is done by a load balancing server, so I don't have to add the actual certs to my nginx conf.

Anyway, after the SSL change, my shiny site still works perfectly, but when I try to access Rstudio server, it doesn't pull up the login page. The address bar shows this URL: https://127.0.0.1:8787/auth-sign-in?appUri=%2F, The browser shows This site can’t be reached. **127.0.0.1** refused to connect.

I tried re-installing Rstudio server, but that didn't help. I am sure other people use SSL with their servers. I am stumped and would be happy for any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I figured this out. I had to use Local Port Forwarding, as described here

I have a ssh config entry for my shiny server, so my command is
ssh -L 8787:localhost:8787 shiny and then I have to leave that window open and point my browser to localhost:8787 and it works. Not the most seemless way, but I am happy to have access to Rstudio on my server again.

Hope this helps the next person.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.