RStudio Session Aborted - RDCOMClient

Hi guys, I'm wondering if this is an issue with the new version of RStudio. I'm using Version 1.2.5033.

The following code is simply opening a Excel workbook using the classic RDCOMClient package, which I've installed using:

devtools::install_github('omegahat/RDCOMClient')

The problem code:

path <- "C:/MyFile.xlsx"
ex = COMCreate("Excel.Application")
book = ex$Workbooks()$Open(path) # RSTUDIO CRASHES HERE

I can create the 'ex' object no problem. The problem is RStudio aborts at the Workbooks()$Open command. I've tried a few different file locations, file sizes and restarting my R Session, but they all seem to cause an immediate crash of RStudio, giving the usual message "R Session Aborted. R encountered a fatal error. The session was terminated.'

However, the above code works fine in a previous version of RStudio (Version 1.1.456). Is the updated RStudio no longer supporting the RDCOMClient package?

Thanks, Sean

The problem isn't RStudio...sorry. This is an issue with the RDCOMClient package not working with Rtools version 4.0 vs. RTools 3.5. Downgrading to RTools 3.5 fixed the problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.