Software Engineer (IDE) - RStudio
paid / remote, USA / full-time
The RStudio IDE is a open-source, cross-platform integrated development environment for the R programming language, used by hundreds of thousands of people worldwide. Our mission is to make it possible for anyone, regardless of means, to harness the power of the R language to understand and improve the world through data.
As a member of the IDE team, you'll help us continue to deliver that vision by building new features for RStudio on a variety of platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, and a web version). And while your primary deliverable will be source code, you won't just be typing C++ all day; you'll be involved with every step of the process, from gathering ideas and feedback to support and maintenance. You'll also help the product continue to adapt to new environments and challenges, and help us support our work by contributing features to RStudio Pro.
- Design and implement new features in the RStudio IDE, both open source and professional editions
- Support RStudio open source and professional communities; lend a hand and gain insight
- Learn from, and teach, other IDE team members
- Support, maintain, and improve existing IDE codebase
- Contribute your own ideas and insight to the IDE
- You have experience writing native (unmanaged) code, ideally C++
- You have cross-platform development skills
- You have strong debugging skills
- You are comfortable working autonomously
- You have some experience with Unix-derived operating systems
- We welcome all talented engineers and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms .
- We prioritize giving engineers “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model : 50% of engineering we do at RStudio is open source. We are profitable and we plan to be around twenty years from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- a home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- a profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.