Software Engineer, tidymodels
paid // USA // full-time
The mission of the tidymodels group is to make modeling and analysis in R easier by building packages that implement new methodologies and provide improved interfaces to existing systems, while focusing heavily on user experience. Our team members live in various locations across the United States (and occasionally elsewhere!) and work together by chatting on Slack, holding regularly scheduled and ad-hoc video calls, and communicating our ideas through documents, images, and code. We also travel to meet in person several times a year for company-wide events, conferences, and workshops. Examples of our work can be found at https://github.com/tidymodels/.
What you'll be doing:
- Creating new R packages to make modeling and analysis with R easier for the average user.
- Maintaining existing packages in the tidymodels ecosystem.
- Reviewing, testing, and deploying code regularly.
- Interacting with our users at conferences, through our community forums, and by assisting on issues.
- Possible projects might include: integrating h2o.ai models into the tidymodels frameworks, creating a model monitoring/updating framework, converting models and pre-processing objects to R expressions, adding survival models to tidymodels, and probability calibration methods for post-processing model predictions.
You work well independently and with others within a group. You have a broad interest and experience in a variety of types of analysis methodologies. You love learning, strive to be pragmatic and appreciate clean interfaces and thoughtful approaches to problems. You have most of the following:
- Excitement about R, the tidyverse, and modeling.
- Strong proficiency with R and the tidyverse.
- Training and/or experience with statistical analysis of data such as Bayesian analysis, survival analysis, multivariate methods, and so on. Experience with machine learning and predictive modeling is advantageous but not sufficient.
- The ability to learn and implement new methodologies from the literature.
- Experience or interest in a specific problem domain (e.g. econometrics, computational biology, finance, etc.).
- Familiarity with command-line tools, Unix based operating systems, and GitHub.
- Strong debugging skills.
Other nice-to-haves include:
- Experience with C++, python, or tensorflow
- Experience maintaining CRAN packages
- We welcome all talented engineers and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving engineers “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you, and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: 50% of engineering we do at RStudio is open source. We are profitable, and we plan to be around twenty years from now.
- 100% distributed team
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- Medical, dental, and vision/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- A home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- A profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.