paid / Boston, MA / Remote / full-time
RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
The technical account manager is responsible for managing the technical aspects of deep, extended engagements with our enterprise customers. The purpose of these engagements is to identify the customer requirements and to design a technical architecture how RStudio products can be used to satisfy these requirements. This also means identifying product gaps and describing user stories so that product management can prioritize new features. If the root cause analysis indicates that RStudio products are not behaving as expected, you will then work with RStudio engineering management (including engineering and quality assurance) to identify, fix and test our products.
You will be working closely with the Customer Success team to define the technical account strategy for your customers. While Customer Success remains responsible for the commercial aspects of the customer relationship, you will develop ongoing relationships with key technical stakeholders in your account.
This role is technical in nature, but you will not be responsible for solving all technical problems. On customer engagements you will also be assisted by a solutions engineer to ensure the necessary technical skills are available. For example, you need to be able to discuss Kubernetes implementation and RStudio integration with Kubernetes, but typically a solutions engineer will handle at least some of the screen sharing and technical issues.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead the technical relationship and strategy for selected enterprise accounts
- Create systems for reporting on the status and health of your accounts, including the design and recording of suitable metrics
- Lead weekly, monthly and quarterly status review meetings, with appropriate status reports and task lists.
- Identify product gaps and feature requests, and discuss these with product management for prioritization
- Work closely with solutions engineering to identify the root cause of problems, and then work with engineering management to ensure solutions are prioritized and included in patch releases
- You have deeply technical skills relevant to managing RStudio product deployments, including Linux system administration, docker containers, Kubernetes and Slurm. You also understand how to discuss technical architecture for various cloud solutions, especially AWS and Azure
- You now want to apply your excellent people skills to influence technical strategy and solutions to customer account management
- You know how to organise multiple projects, keeping track of what needs to be done to move every customer forward
- You have experience of using your listening and problem solving skills to identify the most important customer requirements
- You are comfortable using indirect influence to work across teams and ensure problems get resolved
- You have honed your negotiation skills and can use these to persuade customers to adopt products and solutions, even if it means they have to sometimes implement workarounds
- RStudio is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means that our open-source mission is codified into our charter , and that our corporate decisions balance the interests of the community, customers, employees, and shareholders.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms .
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model : We have over 50% of our engineering dedicated to creating free and open source software. We are profitable and we plan to be around decades from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- a home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- a profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.