RStudio terminal installations not available in Mac terminal

I'm surprised when the behavior of my RStudio terminal differs from the behavior of my Mac terminal.

For instance I recently installed poetry from my RStudio terminal to manage Python projects, and can execute poetry commands.

I am surprised to discover that poetry can not be executed from the main terminal on my Mac, even when I have the same virtual environment and working directory in both terminals.

Is there anything about the RStudio terminal that I am fundamentally misunderstanding? I would have thought it's behavior would be identical to the Mac terminal.

I have since confirmed that the $PATH variable was differently defined when I view echo $PATH in RStudio Terminal vs Mac Terminal. I updated $PATH to find poetry, but I am still surprised that this misalignment occurred at all. Why would PATH be different in the two terminals?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.