RStudio white screen on windows computer

I know this topic has been brought up before, but I have yet to see a solution. My issue is similar to the one seen in this post. I have tried all the recommendations there as well:

• Deleting files :
    C: > users > username > AppData > Local > RStudio-Desktop
    C: > users > username > AppData > Roaming > RStudio
  • Reinstalling Rstudio (multiple times)
  • Try changing to software rendering, you can change it by holding the Ctrl key while opening RStudio, then you should see this menu and change the "Rendering Engine" to "Software".
  • Tried another R version
  • Restart the computer
  • Moved everything off my C: drive because Ivanti File Director seemed to majorly slow things down

I've found that the problem persists indefinitely if I am connected to VPN. So, my solution has been to start RStudio before connecting to VPN, connect to VPN, give it at least 15 minutes to rest, open a project. Then, it almost always works.

I am using R version 4.1.2 and RStudio version 2021.9.2.382. I cannot download the daily build on my work computer so haven't tried that.

Here are some other weird things I'm observing that may or may not be related:

• MAJOR slowness with all the tasks in the git tab. For example, it will take at least ten seconds for the checkmark to show up in the Staged box.
  • Global options is slow. Clicking on any of the options in the side panel will take about 5 seconds to actually get there.
  • RStudio only let's me see the output preview in window once. If I run the same code chunk again, it won't display. So, I need to close the preview window each time I run the code again.
  • Sometimes when I try to run code, it shows the littler timer thing like it's waiting, but when I look in the console, the code has finished running. So I need to close the file and reopen it so the clock goes away and I can run my code again.

I haven't seen any of these issues on my students' computers in my 5 years of teaching, so my assumption is that it has something to do with the firewall/vpn, but that's way out of my area of expertise. Thanks for any help.

Lisa

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.