RStudio white screen on windows computer

I know this topic has been brought up before, but I have yet to see a solution. My issue is similar to the one seen in this post. I have tried all the recommendations there as well:

• Deleting files :
    C: > users > username > AppData > Local > RStudio-Desktop
    C: > users > username > AppData > Roaming > RStudio
  • Reinstalling Rstudio (multiple times)
  • Try changing to software rendering, you can change it by holding the Ctrl key while opening RStudio, then you should see this menu and change the "Rendering Engine" to "Software".
  • Tried another R version
  • Restart the computer
  • Moved everything off my C: drive because Ivanti File Director seemed to majorly slow things down

I've found that the problem persists indefinitely if I am connected to VPN. So, my solution has been to start RStudio before connecting to VPN, connect to VPN, give it at least 15 minutes to rest, open a project. Then, it almost always works.

I am using R version 4.1.2 and RStudio version 2021.9.2.382. I cannot download the daily build on my work computer so haven't tried that.

Here are some other weird things I'm observing that may or may not be related:

• MAJOR slowness with all the tasks in the git tab. For example, it will take at least ten seconds for the checkmark to show up in the Staged box.
  • Global options is slow. Clicking on any of the options in the side panel will take about 5 seconds to actually get there.
  • RStudio only let's me see the output preview in window once. If I run the same code chunk again, it won't display. So, I need to close the preview window each time I run the code again.
  • Sometimes when I try to run code, it shows the littler timer thing like it's waiting, but when I look in the console, the code has finished running. So I need to close the file and reopen it so the clock goes away and I can run my code again.

I haven't seen any of these issues on my students' computers in my 5 years of teaching, so my assumption is that it has something to do with the firewall/vpn, but that's way out of my area of expertise. Thanks for any help.

Lisa

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.