rstudio won't start from terminal, iff I specify a project on the command line

I can start rstudio from the terminal by running rstudio

However, If I run it specifying a project that I want to open (eg. with rstudio RClub.proj), I get an Error Starting R`.

This behavior is new, I've been running rstudio without problems for years, but I have updated things on my computer and perhaps the Rstudio version. I haven't yet followed the uninstall and reinstall r steps and so on as things are still working. I'm wondering if I can get a hint about what is happening.

This problem looks similar to this one:

which was closed as a duplicate of this one:

In the later case, I also had that problem, but got rstudio to stop complaining about GPUs by telling it to use "software" for graphics.

The error follows

Error Starting R
The R session failed to start.

RSTUDIO VERSION
RStudio 2023.03.0+386 "Cherry Blossom " (3c53477a, 2023-03-09) for Ubuntu Bionic
[No error available]
[No errors emitted]
OUTPUT
[No output emitted]
/home/jacob/.local/share/rstudio/log/rsession-jacob.log
2023-04-06T15:58:31.353160Z [rsession-jacob] ERROR system error 2 (No such file or directory); OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::core::FilePath::getChildren(std::vectorrstudio::core::FilePath&) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:931; LOGGED FROM: rstudio::core::Error rstudio::session::projects::ProjectContext::startup(const rstudio::core::FilePath&, std::__cxx11::string*) src/cpp/session/projects/SessionProjectContext.cpp:268
2023-04-06T15:58:31.353884Z [rsession-jacob] ERROR system error 2 (No such file or directory) [path: ]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::core::FilePath::makeCurrentPath(bool) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:1400; LOGGED FROM: int main(int, char* const*) src/cpp/session/SessionMain.cpp:2248
2023-04-06T15:58:31.353884Z [rsession-jacob] ERROR system error 2 (No such file or directory) [path: ]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::core::FilePath::makeCurrentPath(bool) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:1400; LOGGED FROM: int main(int, char* const*) src/cpp/session/SessionMain.cpp:2248
NEXT STEPS
R can fail to start up for many reasons. The following may help you resolve the problem:

Investigate any errors above.
Make sure that R starts up correctly outside RStudio (using RGui, R.app, or R in a terminal).
Fully uninstall all versions of R from your machine, and reinstall the version you wish to use with RStudio.
Remove startup customizations such as an .Rprofile file, if present.
If posting this report online, use the Copy Problem Report button below to generate a textual version of this diagnostic.
Further troubleshooting help can be found on our website:

Troubleshooting RStudio Startup

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

#version#

user_agent

Error message

#launch_failed#

Process Output

The R session exited with code #exit_code#.

Error output:

#process_error#

Standard output:

#process_output#

Logs

#log_file#

#log_content#

Contents of the problem report

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

RStudio 2023.03.0+386 "Cherry Blossom " (3c53477a, 2023-03-09) for Ubuntu Bionic

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) rstudio/2023.03.0+386 Chrome/108.0.5359.179 Electron/22.0.3 Safari/537.36

Error message

[No error available]

Process Output

The R session exited with code 1.

Error output:

[No errors emitted]

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

Logs

/home/jacob/.local/share/rstudio/log/rsession-jacob.log

2023-04-06T15:58:31.353160Z [rsession-jacob] ERROR system error 2 (No such file or directory); OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::core::FilePath::getChildren(std::vector<rstudio::core::FilePath>&) const src/cpp/shared_core/FilePath.cpp:931; LOGGED FROM: rstudio::core::Error rstudio::session::projects::ProjectContext::startup(const rstudio::core::FilePath&, std::__cxx11::string*) src/cpp/session/projects/SessionProjectContext.cpp:268

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.