Rterm.exe Entry Point Not Found


#1

Over the weekend my computer was forced to shutdown, and now when I open Rstudio, I get the following error

Rterm.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point R_ExternalPtrAddrFn could not be location in the dynamic link library R.dll.

I've removed the .Rdata file from the project I was working on, as well as the .Rproj.user folder, and then globally the Rstudio-Desktop folder. That helped me actually open the project that I had been working on, but I still am persistently getting the Rterm error. Has anyone seen this before or have a suggestion? Thanks.


#2

A couple possibilities from support threads:



#3

A little late to the party but this might also be an rlang issue. Maybe try reinstalling rlang from Github if you can, or from source from CRAN. Or maybe you switched R versions somewhere along the way and it did not like that?

I'm currently facing this issue myself on Windows 7 and can force it to occur by:

  • Starting in R 3.4.1 where rlang was downloaded and installed from
  • Using RStudio to switch to R 3.3.1
  • Restarting RStudio. Immediately on open I get a pop up box stating the Rterm.exe error shown above. (there is not hint that it was rlang.) The box continually pops up randomly throughout the session.
  • Removing rlang from my library, then restarting RStudio results in the box no longer popping up while still on R 3.3.1.

Relevant github issue:


#4

I am a bit late to help with that issue but had it now first time my self. Maybe someone else will have use of it.
I used the installR() package to upgrade my r version from R and recieved that error.

In Rstudio, when you go on tools -> global options -> R version you can change the version to run your RStudio session. This was not changed when upgrading R, but must be done by hand. After setting the right version R worked again without this error.
Good luck with your codes


#5

Hi there!

I recently had a common problem with "Rterm.exe Entry Point Not Found" after updating from R 3.4 to R 3.5, when trying to use the older R 3.4 version again in RStudio (selecting the updated R 3.5 version in RStudio did not show any error message).

When trying to load the packages "readr" and "Rcpp" with the older R 3.4 version, one gets the following error messages (s. below), that point to a problem with the 'Rcpp' package version/built, that seemed to be on the new 3.5 built. Reinstalling the "Rcpp" package using R 3.4 solved the problem.

library(readr)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘readr’ in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...):
unable to load shared object 'C:/Users/kvasg/Documents/R/win-library/3.4/Rcpp/libs/x64/Rcpp.dll':
LoadLibrary failure: The procedure could not be found.
library(Rcpp)
Error: package ‘Rcpp’ was installed by an R version with different internals; it needs to be reinstalled for use with this R version


#6

Note that in general packages must be re-compiled (or re-installed) after non-patch upgrades of R -- e.g. moving from R 3.4 to R 3.5 necessitates a reinstall of any packages you might've been using prior.


#7

I experienced that the "Entry Point" error message (concerning "rlang.dll", "Rcpp.dll" or other .dll) occures when using/choosing a lower R version in RStudio on packages of a higher built , i.e. using R 3.4 on packages of built 3.5, e.g. after using update.packages(..., checkBuilt = TRUE) on user library of lower R Version 3.4...after getting rid of the packages of the higher built or re-installing them on the lower built in the user library, no "Entry Point" error messages occure anymore when using the lower R Version R 3.4...