Run RStudio IDE locally, but R session in Docker image

docker

Hi

I know about the rocker RStudio docker containers and that I could connect to RStudio by using a browser, but I would like to have one local RStudio IDE installation but use R in a docker image instead of the local R. It just seems to be a waste of space to have RStudio installed in each docker image.

Or in other words: Can I specify the R executable to be used in RStudio?

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Rainer

RStudio needs the path to an R installation living on the local filesystem, so as far as I know there’s no way to connect RStudio to R within a Docker image. It might be possible to accomplish this is the Docker container’s filesystem could be mounted on the host’s filesystem somewhere, but I’m not sure if this is possible.

Hm. It would be a very useful feature to be able to use an R session in a docker container from RStudio.

Rainer

Hi Rainer,

Any luck on this?

You might be able to use the rmote package for this! You'd start RStudio as normal with a local R installation, but then you connect to the remote (or dockerised) R instance using the package's commands. The downsides are that:

(a) Rmote sends figures and such back via a web browser; I don't think you'd get them in the RStudio plot viewer.
(b) You lose a lot of the advantages of RStudio; you might as well just run R on its own locally unless you're doing stuff like authoring Markdown in RStudio (and I don't think you could run the chunks on the remote instance automatically).

If you're using a Docker instance to run R and want interactivity, a better route might be to get a Docker container that has RStudio Server instead of running RStudio locally.