Securing an application

Hello,

I am considering using ShinyApps for our business. However we would like to ensure that our applications under ourcompany.shinyapps.io (or a custom domain) are only accessible through our own web application.

I understand that paid ShinyApps plans allows for username/password authentication. However what we are looking for is some sort of token authentication so we can embed ShinyApps onto our own application, which has its own access control. Is this something supported by ShinyApps?

And no, iframes are not an option :slight_smile:

Did you ever figure this out? I came across your post and it describes exactly what I'm trying to do.

This might be of interest:

https://docs.rstudio.com/shinyapps.io/authentication-and-user-management.html

I struggle with this as well. I don't have a great answer. I struggle with everything related to software development...git, Azure, Docker have all caused me fits!

Some options I've considered.

• Adding login and password as inputs in the shiny app
  • Deploying the app to a certain access group in whatever cloud computing platform you use .... let the access group control permissions

Thank you for the thought. I've been there and it allows user authentication, but I can't setup a single user sign-on from my main website. I'm playing around with auth0 but it's going to take me a while to figure it out.

I figured out a solution! I set up an auth0 account (through auth0.com) and got my shinyapps.io app setup through the server. I then used the WebAuth API to do the authentication on my website and then launched a new window to the shinyapp with the authentication information. I got stuck on the iframes issue for a bit but the API helped me to work around that.

References:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.