Security of data uploaded to RStudio Cloud

Looking at previous community posts, and after reading the Terms and Conditions, I cannot find enough information about the security of my data.

To make it more concrete, if I upload a dataset:

1. What is the encryption degree in the communication between my machine and RStudio servers?
  2. Once I uploaded the dataset, could RStudio company make it publicly available, without my permission?
  3. Once I uploaded the dataset of my data that I am using for a publication, is there the risk that someone else can find and use my data (within or outside RStudio), so that I find my material published without my permission?
  4. If the answers of all above questions are toward an actual data protection, is it possible that moving from actual free beta plan to future not free plans I might lose some rights on my data?

Please RStudio (cloud) Developers give some feedback about these question, otherwise, I have some concerns about using the service.

Thanks.

Hi there,

I am happy to share some more details about our data security policies.

What is the encryption degree in the communication between my machine and RStudio servers?

All communication between the client and service is encrypted with HTTPS. Within the service, data at-rest is also encrypted.

Once I uploaded the dataset, could RStudio company make it publicly available, without my permission?

No. You control access to your data. RStudio will not change your data from private to public without your permission and you retain the ability to delete your data should you choose.

Once I uploaded the dataset of my data that I am using for a publication, is there the risk that someone else can find and use my data (within or outside RStudio), so that I find my material published without my permission?

No. Again, you control access to the data. Unless you choose to make it public, only those you grant access will be able to view it.

If the answers of all above questions are toward an actual data protection, is it possible that moving from actual free beta plan to future not free plans I might lose some rights on my data?

Irrespective of how the product might change as paid plans are introduced, you will always retain control of your data, including the ability to delete it at any time. RStudio will never claim ownership of your data, and you will always have the ability to choose how is shared or remove it entirely.

Hope that helps.
-Andy

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.
Is there any news for the pricing?
I mean, in there the concrete possibility that a service, as it is now, will not be more than 10/15€ per month?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.