Segfault when running devtools

I develop packages locally and on a HPC server and synchronize them via github. Locally on my laptop, everything works just fine (my package development knowledge is mainly based on https://r-pkgs.org/). When I try to devtools::document() or devtools::build() my packages on the server, I run into a segfault. I suppose it is related to devtools itself because even devtools::install_github("r-lib/roxygen2") ran into the same problem. How does one proceed in a case like this? What can I try myself to solve this? One reason might be that the server only has R version 3.6 available.

My hacky solution so far is that I devtools::build() my packages locally on my laptop, rsync them to the server, and them install them directly from the bundled tar.gz-file. But this is of course not optimal and I would prefer if I could just build my packages on the server in the same way as I do on my laptop.

Thanks for your help!

This appears to have occurred before but is unresolved.

devtools 2.3.2 has depends on R (≥ 3.0.2), usethis (≥ 1.6.3).

If the problem occurs in RStudio, confirm that it also appears in R from the terminal.

If only RStudio, review the open issues.

If in both, review these open issues

1 Like

I would guess there is an issue on the server compiling packages with non-R code in them.

What output does the following return on the server?

pkgbuild::has_build_tools(debug = TRUE)
2 Likes

Thanks for your replies and sorry for not checking in earlier, apparently my e-mail notifications were turned off. I spoke with the HPC admins and they solved the issue (running gdb and strace).

The issue is related to the lustre filesystem on the computing cluster in the sense that temporary directories on lustre should not be striped. When I unset TMPDIR at the command line, pkgbuild::has_build_tools(debug = TRUE) returns TRUE, otherwise a segfault is thrown as described above.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.