Segfault when running devtools

I develop packages locally and on a HPC server and synchronize them via github. Locally on my laptop, everything works just fine (my package development knowledge is mainly based on https://r-pkgs.org/). When I try to devtools::document() or devtools::build() my packages on the server, I run into a segfault. I suppose it is related to devtools itself because even devtools::install_github("r-lib/roxygen2") ran into the same problem. How does one proceed in a case like this? What can I try myself to solve this? One reason might be that the server only has R version 3.6 available.

My hacky solution so far is that I devtools::build() my packages locally on my laptop, rsync them to the server, and them install them directly from the bundled tar.gz-file. But this is of course not optimal and I would prefer if I could just build my packages on the server in the same way as I do on my laptop.

Thanks for your help!

This appears to have occurred before but is unresolved.

devtools 2.3.2 has depends on R (≥ 3.0.2), usethis (≥ 1.6.3).

If the problem occurs in RStudio, confirm that it also appears in R from the terminal.

If only RStudio, review the open issues.

If in both, review these open issues

I would guess there is an issue on the server compiling packages with non-R code in them.

What output does the following return on the server?

pkgbuild::has_build_tools(debug = TRUE)
1 Like