SELinux errors with RStudio Server

Thanks for reopening this thread @cole.

Since the solution posted on github and stackoverflow is just a workaround, there are two main goals to getting a permanent solution:

1. Get RStudio Server working out of the box with SELinux.

• The source of the problem is that RStudio Server is packaged with binaries in a library directory usr/lib.
    • This results in binaries having the SELinux type lib_t instead of bin_t. Not following Filesystem Hierarchy Standards is the cause of the SELinux errors.
    • The solution might be as simple as to install the binaries found in /usr/lib/rustudio-server/bin into /usr/bin or /usr/sbin or /usr/libexec as needed.
  2. Create a targeted SELinux policy for RStudio Server.

I'll try to answer your questions though I'm no expert on SELinux. Much of what I've learned around this issue (including the workaround posted) is thanks to #selinux user "grift" who has been exceptionally helpful, available, and patient.

Yes.

Perhaps looking through the existing policies for many software will give an idea: GitHub - fedora-selinux/selinux-policy-contrib: Fedora Policy Contributions

From grift at #selinux IRC:

they could but they aren't, although most distributions base their policy on a common base policy called reference policy

1 Like