Setting the default timezone in rstudio-server pro for logging?

Hi all,
I'm trying to set the default timezone in rstudio-server pro so the times & dates are recorded correctly in the monitor log /var/lib/rstudio-server/monitor/log/rstudio-server.log
I know you can set admin-monitor-log-use-server-time-zone=1 in rserver.conf but the dates remain the same in the log file - it appears that it's just the parsing that gets tweaked so the displayed dates in the web interface are correct. As far as I can tell the dates in /var/lib/rstudio-server/monitor/log/rstudio-server.log remain UTC. As a Linux admin it's far quicker for me to look directly at the log file than find it in the web admin GUI.
Any ideas?
thanx :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reaching out @russellsmithies !

Do you mind sharing what operating system / distribution you are on?

The only idea that comes to mind for me is to add a simple CLI that converts the time zone for your viewing. This is mostly because I am ignorant of such a feature in the product (which is not to say that it does not exist). Would you be amenable to such a workaround?

In any case, as a pro customer, you are also welcome to send this request to our professional support team at support@rstudio.com .

I have a workaround but it would make more sense to have the logs with the same date format as the OS.

lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    :core-4.1-amd64:core-4.1-noarch
Distributor ID: CentOS
Description:    CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)
Release:        7.6.1810
Codename:       Core

1 Like

Hey @russellsmithies! I have confirmed that logs are UTC only at present. I have recorded a feature request internally for more formattable logs (specifically, configuring the time zone). Thanks for your feedback!!

Thanx for that.
As someone who spends a lot of time looking through log files it will make life much easier!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.