Setting up your own shiny-server / rstudio-server on a Raspberry Pi 3B+

rstudio-server
shiny-server
rasperry-pi

Oh sorry, I'm running the cmake .. -DRSTUDIO_TARGET=Server -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug command.

log file Makefile:126: recipe for target 'cmTC_75f91/fast' failed

Well, it appears that there is a missing dependency, so try to run ./install-dependencies-debian --exclude-qt-sdk again and check if throws any warning message

That script comes from the github repo so it is possible that has been modified lately and that it is including a new dependency that needs to be manually installed on raspbian

That script comes from the github repo so, ... most likely something I did :slight_smile: I get things horribly wrong all the time lol. I used to be a nurse and some how tricked the uni into letting me do a master in computer science stuff, so stuffing up is my middle name.

Just to be sure, can I confirm which directory I should be when I first download rstudio.git via;
sudo git clone https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio.git

Btw, do you want me to post new threads for questions or keep it to this thread?

It really doesn't matter in which directory you are, as long as you are executing commands as superuser, if you are at your home directory it's ok.

EDIT: I take it back, you need to be here /home/pi

About the new thread, I'm not sure, maybe @EconomiCurtis can tell us if it's ok to keep this conversation here.

The only reason I am confirming is that, cmake does not need to performed in /usr/local/src like the generic make. Is that correct?

Thanks again @andresrcs documentation is really good. There are a few changes that could be made as things have moved or changed. Got to love developers.

Feedback and updates to this guide are always welcome, so tell me about it.

You also may want to add permissions to swap drive so that it can only be accessed by root user. You can do this afterwards by first going,

sudo /sbin/swapoff /var/swap.1 
sudo chown root:disk /var/swap.1 # add root to swap
sudo chmod 0600 /var/swap.1 # add 0600 permission 
sudo /sbin/swapon /var/swap.1`.

The full code:

sudo /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/swap.1 bs=1M count=3072
sudo /sbin/mkswap /var/swap.1
sudo chown root:disk /var/swap.1 # add root to swap
sudo chmod 0600 /var/swap.1 # add 0600 permission 
sudo /sbin/swapon /var/swap.1
sudo sh -c 'echo "/var/swap.1 swap swap defaults 0 0 " >> /etc/fstab'

Thanks @tcratius! I'm checking on this. I have sent you a private message with some follow up questions about your comments.

closed #33

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.

opened #34