Shiny app disconnected from the server. No errors

I am running a Shiny app on Ubuntu using the free Shiny server. When I view the app in a tab in a browser (on MacOS or iPhone) it works fine. If I leave the tab open for a few minutes and return to the tab, I see the familiar translucent grey overlay with a rectangular box in the lower left stating, "Disconnected from the server. Reload".

There are no error indicated at /var/log/shiny-server/app-name... or at /var/log/shiny-server.log .

Here's my shiny server config file:

# Define a server that listens on port 3838
server {
  listen 3838;

# Define a location at the base URL
  location / {

# Defines the amount of time (in seconds) an R process with no active connections should remain open.
    app_idle_timeout 0;

# Host the directory of Shiny Apps stored in this directory
    site_dir /srv/shiny-server;

# Log all Shiny output to files in this directory
    log_dir /var/log/shiny-server;

# When a user visits the base URL rather than a particular application,
    # an index of the applications available in this directory will be shown.
    directory_index on;
  }
}

Based on this post, I thought the addition of app_idle_timeout 0; would prevent this from happening. It hasn't.

Running /opt/shiny-server/bin/shiny-server --version results in:

Shiny Server v1.5.14.948

I understand Dean Attali has created, shinydisconnect, as a way to make this message look nicer. However, I am wondering how to prevent this message from appearing at all if no errors have occurred.

This is similar to an earlier question, Keep shiny app running in shiny server (no greying out). However the solution mentioned there does not work at all on an iPhone. Even with the clock visible, the Shiny app on the iPhone greys out within a few minutes on Firefox, Safari, and Chrome

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.