This Shiny App aids instructors in teaching introductory statistics students the appropriateness of using Mean/Median/Trimmed Mean with their hometowns.
It has the following functionality/technical details:
- Allows the student to type in their home town/state.
- The App scrapes the appropriate hometown off the internet.
- The town's population and lat/long are saved into a google sheet.
- The App Reads off the googlesheet and returns the data in a chart.
- After clicking update, the hometowns plot on an interactive map.
- The mean/median/trimmed mean of the hometown's population is presented.
The instructor can use this interactive tool to teach an important introductory concept with student's personalized data.
- Jenny Bryan's googlesheet's package
- Hadley Wickahm (and team's) tidyverse and rvest