Shiny - how to center and fix width of dashboard

Hello R Studio Community,

I've been developing an app in Shiny and it's be great. I have one simple question.

As different browsers have different widths, is there a way to set the rule on resizing the Shiny dashboard based on the following:

1. If browser width is more than x, limit to width to x and center the entire dashboard
  2. If browser width is less than x, follow default autosizing
  3. Not essential. But how do I set the blank space color to the left and right of the dashboard

The motivation is that I need a fixed width so that some pictures are scaled correctly. I hope my request can be done through some div tag on the dashboardPage.

Cheers,
Donny

1 Like

This is the current behavior that I wish to avoid.

This is just my opinion, but wouldn't it be better to set a fixed width for the image itself rather then your entire dashboard? If you place your image inside of its own div tag then you can assign that div a fixed width and the image will not resize when the browser is resized

One method is to wrap the entire dashboard in a div and then use css media queries to address items 1-3. In this example, I'm creating a div and assigning the class 'container' to it.

1. Set default sizing: .container{width: 100%; padding: 0; margin 0 auto;} (this removes extra white space on the left and right side and allows the container to expand the full width of the page)

2. Using media queries, set the width of the container to 800px when the width of the screen is at least 800px: @media screen and (min-width: 800px){.container{width: 800px;}}

3. Change background color: html,body{background-color: white;} or any other color (e.g., green, #2D7DDD)

Here's the full code

library(shiny)
library(shinydashboard)

## build dashboard as written at https://rstudio.github.io/shinydashboard/structure.html

## ui.R ##
sidebar <- dashboardSidebar(
    sidebarMenu(
        menuItem("Dashboard", tabName = "dashboard", icon = icon("dashboard")),
        menuItem("Widgets", icon = icon("th"), tabName = "widgets",
                 badgeLabel = "new", badgeColor = "green")
    )
)

body <- dashboardBody(
    tabItems(
        tabItem(tabName = "dashboard",
                h2("Dashboard tab content")
        ),

tabItem(tabName = "widgets",
                h2("Widgets tab content")
        )
    )
)

ui <- tagList(
    tags$style("html,body{background-color: white;}
                .container{
                    width: 100%;
                    margin: 0 auto;
                    padding: 0;
                }
                #myimg{
                    width:30%;
                }
               @media screen and (min-width: 800px){
                .container{
                    width: 800px;
                }
               }"),
    tags$div(class="container",
             dashboardPage(
                 dashboardHeader(title = "Simple tabs"),
                 sidebar,
                 body
             )
    )
)

server <- shinyServer(function(input,output){})

shinyApp(ui, server)

Hope that helps. Good luck!

EDIT: Missed a few brackets in the explanation.