shiny-server does not load .bash_profile

Hi there,

I've have issues adding environment variables (e.g., LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to the shiny R sessions when starting the shiny-server as user shiny and running the apps also as user shiny as it seems that the .bash_profile of user shiny did not get sourced. When the shiny server is started as root and the apps were run as shiny then the .bash_profile is sourced.

I have to start the shiny server as user shiny (company rules) which is achieved by giving the User and Group keywords in /etc/systemd/system/shiny-server.service (the rest is the default):

[Unit]
Description=ShinyServer

[Service]
User=shiny
Group=shiny
Type=simple
ExecStart=/usr/bin/env bash -c 'exec /opt/shiny-server/bin/shiny-server >> /var/log/shiny-server.log 2>&1'
KillMode=process
ExecReload=/usr/bin/env kill -HUP $MAINPID
ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/env sleep 5
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=1
Environment="LANG=de_CH.UTF-8"
StartLimitInterval=45
StartLimitBurst=3

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

The /etc/shiny-server/shiny-server.conf is the default one:

# Instruct Shiny Server to run applications as the user "shiny"
run_as shiny;

# Define a server that listens on port 3838
server {
  listen 3838;

# Define a location at the base URL
  location / {

# Host the directory of Shiny Apps stored in this directory
    site_dir /srv/shiny-server;

# Log all Shiny output to files in this directory
    log_dir /var/log/shiny-server;

# When a user visits the base URL rather than a particular application,
    # an index of the applications available in this directory will be shown.
    directory_index on;
  }
}

With this setup shiny's .bash_profile did not get loaded. Removing the User and the Group keywords from the service file helped (as the shiny-server is then startet as root) and shiny's .bash_profile got loaded. But this is not an option due to company security rules.

For the time being I found a workaround by sourcing the .bash_profile directly before starting the shiny-server within the service file:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/env bash -c 'source ${HOME}/.bash_profile; exec /opt/shiny-server/bin/shiny-server >> /var/log/shiny-server.log 2>&1'

However, I think this is just a workaround but not a final solution. Is there a reason, why shiny's .bash_profile is not loaded when user shiny is starting shiny-server and running the apps? Is there a better solution for this issue?

Thanks a lot in advance for any lights shed on this issue.

PS:
I am working on a Ubuntu 18.04 machine:

> uname -a
Linux myuser 4.18.0-16-generic #17-Ubuntu SMP Fri Feb 8 00:06:57 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

with RStudio Shiny Server v1.5.9.923 (Open Source version)

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.