Shiny Server not showing application and no logs at all

So I built a web app with shiny which is functional and tested locally, I put it on a remote machine where I installed all dependencies and verified that the shiny server sample apps all work. But for some reason my app doesn't show up and I looked in the logs directory but there are no log files at all. It just shows an error message in the browser. p.s.: I'm using the root user to do this. Can someone help?

Can you provide any other relevant information?

What is the error message you get? How are you deploying your app? Have you check that you have proper permissions on the /srv/shiny-server? Can you show your app's code?

All that I get is An error has occurred. Check your logs or contact the app author for clarification. The app's code is quite large is there something you're looking in particular?

Have you check that you have proper permissions on the /srv/shiny-server ?

I don't know how to do that.

What is the output of running ls -l /srv/shiny-server/ in your system terminal?

The shiny-server service runs as the shiny user so if your app's root folder is not owned by shiny or some other user in a shiny-apps group you would need to allow rwx permissions to everybody (i.e. 777).

Also, check if a log file is generated at /var/log/shiny-server while the app is loading, in some cases, it gets deleted after the session stops.

What is the output of running ls -l /srv/shiny-server/ in your system terminal?

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   38 Jan  4 22:44 index.html -> /opt/shiny-server/samples/welcome.html
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jan  4 23:53 jobs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   37 Jan  4 22:44 sample-apps -> /opt/shiny-server/samples/sample-apps

I changes the permissions to this (jobs is my project directory)

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   38 Jan  4 22:44 index.html -> /opt/shiny-server/samples/welcome.html
drwxrwxrwx 5 root root 4096 Jan  4 23:53 jobs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   37 Jan  4 22:44 sample-apps -> /opt/shiny-server/samples/sample-apps

still the same problem.

Also, check if a log file is generated at /var/log/shiny-server while the app is loading, in some cases, it gets deleted after the session stops.

I actually checked and you were correct, it appears that the problem was a bunch of libraries now the app runs but a new problem arose. I'm using reticulate and the pandas library which I installed using py_install("pandas") and it works in the R console. However, the app logs still show the error ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pandas'.

That is a different kind of issue, I think it would be better if you open a separate specific topic it. The first thing that comes to my mind to try is explicitly setting the virtual environment to be used with use_virtualenv()

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.