Shinyapps.io connection to oracle DB

HI everyone.

From what I read on the shinyapps.io documentation about odbc connection:

We recommend using the odbc and DBI packages when establishing ODBC connections to databases. When you use the odbc package with a Shiny app, RStudio’s Professional Drive will automatically be available to your application. Use one of the following driver names with dbConnect to establish a connection to your database:

• “AmazonRedshift”
  • “Hive”
  • “Impala”
  • “PostgreSQL”
  • “Salesforce”
  • “SQLServer”
  • “Teradata” ...

From the page RStudio’s Professional Drivers page i can see that the coverage includes also Oracle.
Can i be sure that I can connect to oracle db from a shiny app hosted on shinyapps.io cloud?

Thanks

From the RStudio Professional Drivers page

You may download and use RStudio Professional Drivers at no charge with RStudio Server Pro, RStudio Connect, or Shiny Server Pro.

So, it seems to me, that the pro drivers are not part of shinyapps.io.

Mara This is the documentation of shinyapps.io https://docs.rstudio.com/shinyapps.io/applications.html#accessing-databases-with-odbc.

It stated clearly that

When you use the odbc package with a Shiny app, RStudio’s Professional Driverswill automatically be available to your application

So there's some discrepancy between the documentation. Hope that someone from RStudio clarify this.

Ah, OK. Good to know. We'll have to get the doc mix up sorted.

The Professional Drivers are installed in shinyapps.io when one uses the odbc package.

However, the Oracle driver will not work as it requires additional software to be installed which requires agreeing to Oracle's EULA.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.