shinymanager package seems to alter how a Shiny app process runs on Ubuntu

The shinymanager package seems a very helpful resource to facilitate authentication and manage users.

Running on Ubuntu, one thing that I am noticing in testing is that including shinymanager in a Shiny application affects how I terminate the app. That is, without shinymanager, I always stop a Shiny app with Ctrl+c but this does not work when a Shiny app is running with shinymanager (i.e., Ctrl+c does not stop the Shiny app (or have any effect)). When shinymanager is included, I find that I need to first put the Shiny app to sleep with Ctrl+z then explicitly stop that specific job with kill. Not only is this odd behaviour with Shiny, but I have been using Ubuntu for a long time and this is the first that I have encountered an application that I could not stop with Ctrl-c. To be sure, the extra steps of sleep + kill required to stop a Shiny app with shinymanager running are not particularly burdensome but I wonder if this has any effect on system resources or if I have somehow set up shinymanager incorrectly. I am considering adding shinymanager to numerous Shiny apps that I run in production but would like to understand this issue better before doing so.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stevan

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.