Ski Conditions Monitor - 2020 Shiny Contest Submission

Ski Conditions Monitor

Authors: Troy Carpenter
Working with Shiny <1 year

Abstract: This app tracks weather patterns and displays weather KPIs for my favorite ski resorts in the Pacific Northwest region of the USA. Use the date and resort filters to explore both current and historical trends. Note: Data may lag anywhere between 2 and 10 days.

Full Description: "This is the worst snowfall we've had in the last 4 years" - Anonymous friend discussing Mt Hood's 2020 season.

It was this statement that inspired the creation of my Ski Conditions Monitor dashboard. After all, it's not cool to make assumptions regarding snowfall when the collective happiness of snow enthusiasts everywhere hangs in the balance! After a lot of sporadic evening tinkering on my computer, I was able to confirm that my friend was indeed correct at the time.

Using the NOAA api via the rnoaa package, this applications pulls historical weather data for a small selection of my favorite ski resorts in the Pacific Northwest. The dataset allows for the analysis of the latest snow density, snowfall, precipitation, and temperature trends from multiple weather stations in the NOAA network. All units of measurement on dashboard are displayed using Inches or Fahrenheit. Dataset spans from 1/1/2016 to present.

Note: Application may take up to a minute to load.

Category: Education
Keywords: weather,rnoaa,atmosphere,environment,ecology,meteorology,sick,gnar,shred
Shiny app: https://carpenterapps.shinyapps.io/SnowConditionsMonitor/
Repo: SnowConditions/app.R at master · T-Carp/SnowConditions · GitHub
RStudio Cloud: Posit Cloud

Full image:
Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 12.06.24 PM

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.