source() with 2 levels of nesting with a job

If I run the following loop a as a job, everything works fine:

library(tidyverse)

initial_date <- '2020-01-01'
loop_df <- mtcars[0, ]

dates <- seq(as.Date(initial_date), as.Date("2020-01-3"), by = 1)
for(d in seq_along(dates)) {
  loop_date = dates[d]
  loop_row = mtcars[d, ] %>% mutate(loop_date = loop_date)
  loop_df = loop_df %>% bind_rows(loop_row)
}
loop_df

If I try to source part of the loop, I can make it work using local = T Here I just replace the loop_row part to come from a sourced script e.g.

loop_df <- mtcars[0, ]

loop_date = dates[d]
  source("example.R", local = T) # contains a single line of code "loop_row <- mtcars[d, ] %>% mutate(loop_date = loop_date)"
  loop_df = loop_df %>% bind_rows(loop_row)
}
loop_df

So far everything works fine when running as a job in rstudio. If I save the results to an environment object I can see variable loop_df as the first 3 rows of mtcars along with a loop date field:

mpg cyl disp  hp drat    wt  qsec vs am gear carb  loop_date
1 21.0   6  160 110 3.90 2.620 16.46  0  1    4    4 2020-01-01
2 21.0   6  160 110 3.90 2.875 17.02  0  1    4    4 2020-01-02
3 22.8   4  108  93 3.85 2.320 18.61  1  1    4    1 2020-01-03

However, I would like to call that last line, loop_df <- loop_df %>% bind_rows(loop_row) by sourcing a file within example.R source("example2_nested.R", local = T) where source("example2_nested.R", local = T) contains one line of code:

loop_df <- loop_df %>% bind_rows(loop_row)

This works when I run directly in the console. But it does not when I try to run as a job. I get error:

Error in eval(lhs, parent, parent) : object 'loop_df' not found
Calls: sourceWithProgress ... source -> withVisible -> eval -> eval -> %>% -> eval -> eval
Execution halted

Full code is below. If I run main.R in the console I get the desired result of a 3 row df. If I run as a job it fails with the above error message:

# main.R
loop_df <- mtcars[0, ]

loop_date = dates[d]
  source("example.R", local = T)
}
loop_df

# example.R
loop_row <- mtcars[d, ] %>% mutate(loop_date = loop_date)
source("example2_nested.R")

# example2_nested.R
loop_df <- loop_df %>% bind_rows(loop_row)

How can I run this as a job?

amending this to

source("example2_nested.R", local=TRUE)

allows the local job to succeed for me.

1 Like

Does this work without using local = TRUE in the preview release of RStudio? If not, we'd appreciate it if you could file an issue: https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues

Hi Kevin, though I welcome opportunity to give back to this community in anyway I can, because I'm working on a shared EC2 server with several users of our hosted rstudio instance, I'm nervous about attempting to upgrade to the preview release and rocking the boat in anyway. Is this a relatively risk free operation?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.