SQL chunks in rmarkdown doc lose play icon; generate errors

sql
#1

If I change the "chunk_output_type" to console in my RMD, I lose the ability to execute SQL chunks. The three icons in the upper-right of the chunk disappear. If I change it back to R, they reappear immediately. If I change it back to SQL, they disappear.

If I do not change the "chunk_output_type", there are no issues; I get all three icons.

editor_options: 
  chunk_output_type: console

Restarting RStudio, the session, and closing/reopening the Rmd does not fix the issue.

Session info:

Session info ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 setting  value                       
 version  R version 3.5.1 (2018-07-02)
 system   x86_64, linux-gnu           
 ui       RStudio (1.2.1047)          
 language (EN)                        
 collate  en_US.UTF-8                 
 tz       America/Chicago             
 date     2018-10-27                  

Packages -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 package   * version date       source        
 backports   1.1.2   2017-12-13 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 base      * 3.5.1   2018-07-03 local         
 blogdown    0.5     2018-01-24 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 bookdown    0.7     2018-02-18 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 compiler    3.5.1   2018-07-03 local         
 datasets  * 3.5.1   2018-07-03 local         
 devtools    1.13.5  2018-02-18 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 digest      0.6.15  2018-01-28 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 evaluate    0.10.1  2017-06-24 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 graphics  * 3.5.1   2018-07-03 local         
 grDevices * 3.5.1   2018-07-03 local         
 htmltools   0.3.6   2017-04-28 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 knitr       1.20    2018-02-20 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 magrittr    1.5     2014-11-22 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 memoise     1.1.0   2017-04-21 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 methods   * 3.5.1   2018-07-03 local         
 Rcpp        0.12.16 2018-03-13 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 rmarkdown   1.9     2018-03-01 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 rprojroot   1.3-2   2018-01-03 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 stats     * 3.5.1   2018-07-03 local         
 stringi     1.1.7   2018-03-12 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 stringr     1.3.0   2018-02-19 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 tools       3.5.1   2018-07-03 local         
 utils     * 3.5.1   2018-07-03 local         
 withr       2.1.2   2018-03-15 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 xfun        0.1     2018-01-22 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
 yaml        2.1.18  2018-03-08 CRAN (R 3.5.1)
0 Likes

#2

Thanks! I was able to reproduce this. I've filed an issue here: https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues/3776

1 Like