Student, looking for help with rStudio and the acs package.

Hello, I'm a student currently taking a data science course, and we are using rStudio and the acs package. I've been searching the net but I can't find any useful resource that are specific to my assignments, nor anyone who really knows the R language/ acs package. I've spent the last three days asking google, stackoverflow, and following dead ends. Does anyone know of good resources (forums, sites, vids, tutors, etc...). So far, I've only found one book, but its about $40.00 and I dont know if it would help. Thank you very much in advance.

Are you talking about the acs package that retrieves US Census data from the Census API? If so, you might want to have a look at tidycensus, a more recent package for getting Census data into R. The package is well documented here: https://walkerke.github.io/tidycensus. In addition there is a DataCamp course taught by the author of the package and many blog posts you can find with example code. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask them here.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for responding and the link! Do you know of any forums like stackoverflow for the rStudio community, or anyone who tutors? The assignments I have are specific to themselves, and I have no idea how to get the data needed or create the reports. The tutors I've found so far are really expensive or just want to sell you the homework. If you know of anyone I can pay $20.00/hr.

Thanks again.

You are already in the forum you are looking for, and here you can find some advertised instructors

https://forum.posit.co/badges/103/instructor

To add, I think your best resource to tackle your assignments will be your course instructors and TAs. I'd poke them for the resources you need to be successful in your class.

In terms of finding tutors here, I don't think the instructors andresrcs recommended will be helpful, since they tend to be instructors focused on teaching larger classes for companies.

This forum may be a good place to get help. I'd suggest two things:

• Get to know our homework policy. There are a lot of R educators here, and you don't want to run afoul of how your instructor prefers to teach your course - FAQ: Homework Policy
  • As mfherman suggests, feel free to ask specific questions you have here. What's a good way to do that, you ask? That's a great question and I'm glad you asked, FAQ: Tips for writing R-related questions.
1 Like

Thank you, I am actively working with the TA. My professor's teaching philosophy is to intentionally be vague in order to mimic real world situations and motivate us to seek outside help. So, I plan to make full use of this forum.

:woman_shrugging:t5:

Welp, you're welcome here. Please do be considerate of folks volunteer time, but if you are considerate and polite, I think you'll find good help. There isn't a huge group who do spatial stuff here, sadly, but you'll certainly find lots of help with R, RStudio and the tidyverse.

I'm always game to answer US Census/American Community Survey and mapping questions, so ask away (with a reprex in a new thread :grin:). Often I learn new things when answering questions, so it's not just a one-way street!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.