System command 'Rcmd.exe' failed, exit status: 1, stdout + stderr empty

When trying to launch R from terminal (powershell or git bash on win10), one of my students is simply returned to their prompt instead of being launched into the interactive R prompt. Interestingly, when they try to launch cmd from powershell, they run into the same error, does R depend on cmd working and there is a deeper problem to why this fails, or do you think it is R specific? When they try to install from github with devtools, they get the error system command 'Rcmd.exe' failed, exit status: 1, stdout + stderr empty.

A similar question was asked here without response. We tried disabling file sync and security services but to no avail.

I understand that other students that run the same commands have no problem?
What is the exact command the student is trying to execute?
Does the particular student has a username that is special in the sense of containing non-ascii characters or (white) spaces?

Thanks for the reply @HanOostdijk ! Simply running R from powershell or git bash results in no output. Trying to install any package from github via devtools (e.g. devtools::install_github("ucbds-infra/ottr@stable")) results in the error I reported. This problem only affected one students and they do not have a username that contains non-ascii characters. After resetting their windows installation R now works, but it was a rather extreme measure, so I would still be interested to know the root cause of this for the future.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.