TarotreadR - Shiny Contest Submission

TarotreadR

Authors: Meghan Harris

Abstract: This is a simple tarot card reading app with four tabs to choose from. Three tabs contain card draws of different amounts. One tab titled "Card Lookup" will allow you to search for individual cards of interest. This app should be used for entertainment purposes only.

Full Description: The TarotreadR was created to take a fun and alternative approach to learning shiny reactivity. The TarotreadR can be used to randomize tarot cards in quantities of one, two, or three. There is also a "Card Lookup" tab that allows the user to search for cards manually.

The tarot card deck consists of 78 total cards divided into two main categories. The major arcana and the minor arcana. The major arcana cards consist of 22 trump cards that are numbered from 0 to 21, starting with 'The Fool' and ending with 'The World' respectively. These cards are typically said to symbolize major life themes. The other 56 cards are the minor arcana. The minor arcana consists of four suits (Pentacles, Swords, Cups, and Wands). The minor arcana cards are said to depict everyday themes that can change more frequently day-to-day.

Although the use of tarot cards can vary, please note that this app should be used for entertainment purposes only.

Within the app you will find four tabs of use:

One Card Draw:
Typically used for simple 'Yes/No' questions but could also be used for simple meditation and a daily focus.

Two Card Draw:
Typically used for 'decision-making' questions but could also be used for instances where two perspectives are desired like 'mental and physical', 'yes and no', or 'situation and outcome'.

Three Card Draw:
Can be used for more involved spreads like 'past, present, future', 'situation, action required, outcome', and thinking through three separate choices to a decision that needs to be made.

Card Lookup:
Can be used to look up all tarot cards and keywords in the deck without drawing the cards for a reading.

All sounds are royalty free-and was acquired on the internet and do not require attribution. All card and background images were created manually in Canva by Meghan Harris.

Keywords: Miscellaneous, Entertainment, Games, Art, Other
Shiny app: https://meghansaha.shinyapps.io/TarotreadR/
Repo: GitHub - Meghansaha/TarotreadR: A tarot card reading app submitted for the 2021 shiny contest.
RStudio Cloud: Posit Cloud

Thumbnail:

Full image:

3 Likes

Hi!

Nice app, very simple and neat.
I do not hear sounds however.
If you like, you can put my music on, i think it will pair nicely.

Thank you! I'll have to investigate the sounds a bit more across browser types :slight_smile: