Testing new renv profile

I want to prepare a project to use the newer R 4.3 version from the previous R 4.2. This project uses renv to manage dependencies (and {targets}).

I would like to install the new dependencies before moving the default renv profile to the newer R version as default (and check if targets needs to be updated). What would be the best way to do this?

I've read in the profile vignette that via renv::activate the new environment is set as default. Is there a way to create the new profile without setting it as default? How can one choose between profiles?
Ideally I would like to tell renv to pick one profile or another based on the R version used (or some other condition). I guess I could load the .Rprofile with a specific section to set Sys.setenv(RENV_PROFILE = "dev") according to the R version and later load the renv specific line source("renv/activate.R") or is there any other mechanism?

Somewhat related is this question with no answers

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.