Text color of stop(), warning(), message()

The text color of stop(), warning(), message() functions used to be red, which helps to easily spot any problem.
In the current 1.2.830-1 Preview release the text appears as light blue, which is hardly distinguishable from the rest.
Is this a feature, a bug, or it can be set by the user?

2 Likes

Which OS and RStudio theme are you using? On Windows 10, the Twilight theme still works fine in 1.2.830-1 Preview.

R version 3.5.0 (2018-04-23)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Sierra 10.12.5
RStudio theme: Classic

Best,

Luca

It may be related to the Editor theme. What editor theme are you using?

I think they used to be different, but on Version 1.2.679 (homebrew rstudio-preview) on macOS with Solarized Dark everything is now orange. I'm pretty sure at some point errors were red and messages were yellow. I tried lots of other themes, and they all have the same issue.

I heard on Twitter that user-customizable themes are coming in the dailies, so there may be a workaround soon. It'd be nice if the defaults worked, though.

2 Likes

MikeBadescu
August 12
It may be related to the Editor theme. What editor theme are you using?

The default Textmate. Same problem also with Xcode, Eclipse, Dreamweaver, Dawn.

LS

I confirm the issue (for the themes you mentioned) on Windows as well.

2 Likes

This should be fixed in the latest daily builds of RStudio. If you have a chance, can you test and confirm if the issue does appear to be fixed?

@kevinushey, on Windows 10, RStudio-1.2.897, the console error messages are still not in "red" when using the above editor themes.

I'm not able to reproduce:

I can confirm that the latest daily build of RStudio solve the problem on MacOS.

Thanks,

Luca

@kevinushey Indeed, on Windows it works with the Rstudio theme "Classic" and Textmate (default) Editor theme. Change either one of them and the error messages are no longer in red.

Thanks -- I can confirm that the error highlighting for errors already displayed in the console is lost when the editor theme is changed. However, error highlighting does then work properly for new errors / messages that are emitted to the console. Does that also reflect what you're seeing?

For new errors only:

• Classic / Textmate: OK
  • Classic / Chrome: not red
  • Classic / Eclipse: not red
  • Modern / Textmate: OK
  • Modern / Chrome: not red
  • Modern / Eclipse: not red

Thanks; I can reproduce now. It seems it is indeed specific to a few themes; I'll investigate a bit more and then file an issue for us to investigate further.

It looks like that may just be a property of the theme and not actually an error: I see the same behavior in RStudio v1.1 and v1.0 for those themes.