Text not displayed properly after escape characters removed.

I'm currently trying to clean text I've scraped from several websites. I scraped them using rvest and am cleaning with textclean. However, whenever I remove escape characters like \n or \t some of my cells are no longer displayed properly in the viewer window and instead a weird white icon is displayed. I know it is discouraged to post images, but since there is a strange icon being displayed in place of the text I'm not sure how else to show it.
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 3.30.01 PM

Here you can see that, when I hover over the cell the text is previewed, but otherwise it is not displayed properly. This only happens for some of the cells.

I've tried two ways to remove the escape characters and both produce the same results in the same cells.

The first way was:
x$text <- replace_white(x$text)

The second way was:
x$text <- gsub("\\s+", " ", x$text)

Do I need to be concerned about this icon or can I just ignore it and continue with my text cleaning? Could it be some sort of text encoding problem?

Thanks for any help!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.