paid / New York, NY or remote / full-time
Come join a small, but mighty team of R users doing data work at an organization working on criminal justice reform in states across the county!
Who we are:
The Council of State Governments Justice Center is a national nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that combines the power of a membership association, representing state officials in all three branches of government, with policy and research expertise to develop strategies that increase public safety and strengthen communities. We help achieve those results by
- Bringing people together from both sides of the aisle to foster collaboration;
- Driving the criminal justice field forward with original research;
- Building momentum for policy change at the state and local levels; and
- Providing expert assistance to translate the latest research into policy and practice.
The CSG Justice Center is one of the most robust criminal justice organizations in the country, composed of approximately 120 employees with decades of experience in law enforcement, community corrections, court administration, housing, mental health and addiction services, state prisons, local jails, juvenile justice, education, workforce development, and victim advocacy. Staff here have served governors, state legislators, and members of Congress on both sides of the political spectrum. What bonds us together is a shared commitment to our mission, to a common set of values, and to the national, bipartisan advisory board that guides our work. Learn more about careers at the CSG Justice Center.
How you'll fit in :
The Data Scientist will work on an initiative to collect and provide reliable criminal justice system data to improve policymakers' ability to access, understand, compare, and utilize key public safety data. The position will entail collecting and cleaning data, manipulating data, creating and tailoring visualization of interrelated datasets, and presenting research findings.
What you'll do :
Specific responsibilities of the Data Scientist include the following:
- Pull, manipulate, and structure criminal justice data utilizing tables within different data sources with different products.
- Coordinate research and analytic activities utilizing various data points (unstructured and structured) and employ programming to clean, massage, and organize the data.
- Focus on translating data into actionable dashboards using cutting-edge visualization tools and technology and present to various audiences.
- Provide data visualizations (reports and dashboards) to support stakeholder requirements.
- Analyze existing reports to improve performance and develop new reports using the best data visualization practices and processes.
- Work with multiple complex data sources.
- Work with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams along with policy analysts to develop data visualizations that provide insights for government.
- Implement processes that improve and lead to greater data quality.
- Work across multiple projects simultaneously.
What you'll bring :
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse people in different contexts and foster equity and inclusion through self-awareness, cultural sensitivity, and valuing others
- Bachelor's degree in the field of data science, data visualization, computer sciences, business analytics, statistics, mathematics, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience applying data science methods to real-world data problems
- Experience utilizing visualization tools to take advantage of the growing volume of available information
- Familiarity with quality assurance techniques and reproducible research processes
- Research, writing, and editing skills
- Very good communication, interpersonal and critical thinking skills (required)
- Knowledge and experience with the R programming language (proficiency is not required)
- Knowledge of criminal justice systems and settings, public policy, government, or similar entities
- Knowledge of scientific research methods, principles, and techniques
- Knowledge of statistical concepts, methods, and application to data analysis
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including maturity, keen judgment, and self-confidence, with a sense of humor and ability to maintain balance and perspective
- Ability to work with and find consensus among people from a wide array of backgrounds and perspectives, as well as an appreciation for the need to address issues in nonpartisan and non-polarizing ways
- Efficient, organized work style
How you apply:
If you're interested in helping us drive change across the country, you should upload the following elements with your application:
- Cover letter
- At least three professional references
Learn more about careers at the CSG Justice Center.
We welcome and value diversity in our staff, including race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, protected veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system.