The system pdf viewer is non consistent

Hi, I have two questions here.

The first one is that I am unable to make open the pdf generated by rmarkdown. That is, although I change the default pdf viewer outside the rstudio. when I build the pdf, it is still opened by Preview.app, which is the default viewer in mac. Also, I found the open command in the terminal of RStudio is not consistent with the outside one.

That is, when I use the command using the terminal in RStudio:
open xxx.pdf

The open function opens with the preview, the default one, but the mac terminal would open with the skim, the one I prefer.

I tried to restart everything, but nothing changed.

I'm currently using the newest version of everything.

Also, I found that I was unable to give a title to the document when using the extra_dependencies and compile with bookdown. I wasn't so sure if I should open another topic or not, if so, I would be glad to open another one.

Thank you so much for your help and patience in advance!:wink:

I think this is currently the expected behavior for RStudio IDE. It seems it force the use of Preview for pdf on Mac. See

You could open a FR in RStudio GH repo following there contribution guide if you want to suggest / discuss another way of handling this.

I'll also move this into #rstudio-ide category

Yes you should open another topic for this question

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.