This week's winners!

@rensa's right. Besides, why would you ever want to leave the BoRg? :wink:

I think this is a cool idea. Is there a way to change the code to evaluate each week and assess whether there were any winners? I'd propose a "5 like" minimum among eligible candidates? Here's a link to the repo if you'd like to contribute to updating the code. What I've been using was originally created by @hadley and updated by @EconomiCurtis and is listed in the repo as Curtis _code.R

I'm at work and don't want to link my GitHub account with my work computer but I think it would be pretty easy to fix this up:

This code chunk would change so that the time period was all-time and not weekly:

url_users <- function(page = 0, domain = "https://forum.posit.co"){
  paste(
    domain,

"/directory_items.json?",
    "&period=all&order=likes_received",
    "&page=",
    page,
    sep = ""
  )
}

and then this code chunk would change to institute a minimum number of overall likes:

users = users %>%
  distinct(name, .keep_all = TRUE) %>%
  mutate(
    DateTime = Sys.time()
  ) %>%
  filter(likes > 5)

I also didn't run this to double-check it but I think it should do the trick.

EDIT: I've run it and it didn't throw any errors so I think it just needs added in! :grin:

EDIT 2: Why is it that only people without titles can win? I haven't won but I'm using the Regular badge as a title and it says that it only selects winners without titles which I'm assuming is because originally only RStudio Employees got titles?

EDIT 3: To fix the title issue the winner selection should be changed to the following:

users %>%
  filter(title != "RStudio Employee" | is.na(title), !name %in% winners) %>%
  select(-title) %>%
  sample_n(5, weight = likes) %>%
  arrange(desc(likes))

EDIT 4: I got a chance to go into GitHub on my lunch and create a proposed fork.

2 Likes

@Bill, Think we'll get week 10 & 11 winners?

We missed a week again - we'll use Thanksgiving as an excuse. Week #10 and #11 winners will receive an RStudio t-shirt and all of the hex and RStudio stickers we can find. Special thanks go to @thoughtfulnz & @dlsweet for the idea and improvement of the code. Moving forward the time period will be all-time and not weekly. Additionally, the minimum number of overall likes is greater than 5.

The winners for the week of November 24th & December 1st are:

Name likes
martin.R 60
davis 55
baptiste 51
tbradley 42
tjmahr 38
pgensler 24
alexilliamson 12
desmonds22 11
pditty 10
Rdatasculptor 6

Special help awards will also be sent to dlsweet & thoughtfulnz

@martin.R, @davis, @baptiste, @tbradley, @tjmahr, @pgensler, @alexilliamson, @desmonds22, @pditty, @Rdatasculptor, @dlsweet, @thoughtfulnz,

9 Likes

Can't believe my eyes...:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Bill!! I'm pumped!

2 Likes

Hooray!!!!! Thanks so much

Thanks @Bill.

I think this is the best (only?) non-monetary prize I have won since a cassette Walkman.

2 Likes

I like RStudio stickers way more than any person should, so I'm hyped. Thanks!!

1 Like

Any new winners? Shamelessly hoping for RStudio swag to go with my fancy new Regular badge! :wink:

3 Likes

If you’re wondering about sticker re-use versus laptop cleaning, I’ve had pretty good success attaching (and not losing) mine with double-stick tape! Likely getting a new machine soon and couldn’t wait to put stickers on, but now I can still peel them off their real backs later

1 Like

Thanks @emilyriederer!
My concern wasn't about reuse. It was more about the need to remove them if necessary. My work computer is obviously owned by the company. And my wife and I are sharing a Macbook Pro. Not that she is anti data science, but she is an artist and an illustrator, and quite opinionated about this stuff! :smile: I didn't want to get into trouble! lol

The compromise was to go minimalistic and display 3 stickers:

1 Like

add this to the list of things I wish I knew before I covered my laptop in stickers! :laughing:

3 Likes

BTW if anyone wants stickers and a t-shirt let me know (forgot about the email I received a while ago, I assume it's still valid and transferable?)

Stickers :heart_eyes: