Tidyverse - mpg dataset - "drv" column data missing

Hi, I have installed and loaded tidyverse package and am working with the mpg dataset. I just noticed that the entire "drv" column data is missing. I have no clue why all the data is shown as "NA". I tried deleting the entire package and reinstalling it, but it didn't help much. Can anyone help me with the issue?

> head(mpg)
  manufacturer model displ year cyl      trans **drv** cty hwy fl   class
1         audi    a4   1.8 1999   4   auto(l5)  NA  18  29  p compact
2         audi    a4   1.8 1999   4 manual(m5)  NA  21  29  p compact
3         audi    a4   2.0 2008   4 manual(m6)  NA  20  31  p compact
4         audi    a4   2.0 2008   4   auto(av)  NA  21  30  p compact
5         audi    a4   2.8 1999   6   auto(l5)  NA  16  26  p compact
6         audi    a4   2.8 1999   6 manual(m5)  NA  18  26  p compact

Thank you :slight_smile:

Did you highlight this manually?

What you should get with the sessionInfo below (aside from platform specifics)

library(ggplot2)
head(mpg)
#> # A tibble: 6 x 11
#>   manufacturer model displ  year   cyl trans      drv     cty   hwy fl    class 
#>   <chr>        <chr> <dbl> <int> <int> <chr>      <chr> <int> <int> <chr> <chr> 
#> 1 audi         a4      1.8  1999     4 auto(l5)   f        18    29 p     compa…
#> 2 audi         a4      1.8  1999     4 manual(m5) f        21    29 p     compa…
#> 3 audi         a4      2    2008     4 manual(m6) f        20    31 p     compa…
#> 4 audi         a4      2    2008     4 auto(av)   f        21    30 p     compa…
#> 5 audi         a4      2.8  1999     6 auto(l5)   f        16    26 p     compa…
#> 6 audi         a4      2.8  1999     6 manual(m5) f        18    26 p     compa…
sessionInfo()
#> R version 4.0.2 (2020-06-22)
#> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit)
#> Running under: macOS Catalina 10.15.7
#> 
#> Matrix products: default
#> BLAS:   /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libRblas.dylib
#> LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib
#> 
#> locale:
#> [1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8
#> 
#> attached base packages:
#> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     
#> 
#> other attached packages:
#> [1] ggplot2_3.3.2
#> 
#> loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
#>  [1] knitr_1.30       magrittr_1.5     tidyselect_1.1.0 munsell_0.5.0   
#>  [5] colorspace_2.0-0 R6_2.5.0         rlang_0.4.8      fansi_0.4.1     
#>  [9] dplyr_1.0.2      stringr_1.4.0    highr_0.8        tools_4.0.2     
#> [13] grid_4.0.2       gtable_0.3.0     xfun_0.19        utf8_1.1.4      
#> [17] cli_2.1.0        withr_2.3.0      htmltools_0.5.0  ellipsis_0.3.1  
#> [21] assertthat_0.2.1 yaml_2.2.1       digest_0.6.27    tibble_3.0.4    
#> [25] lifecycle_0.2.0  crayon_1.3.4     purrr_0.3.4      vctrs_0.3.4     
#> [29] glue_1.4.2       evaluate_0.14    rmarkdown_2.5    stringi_1.5.3   
#> [33] compiler_4.0.2   pillar_1.4.6     generics_0.1.0   scales_1.1.1    
#> [37] pkgconfig_2.0.3

Created on 2020-11-12 by the reprex package (v0.3.0)

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.

Strange. We are on the same setup. I'm on RStudio 1.3.1073. There are a few packages attached via namespace where we differ. You might try update.packages() and then see if there are any other datasets where this occurs.

yes, I did add the asterisks. I was hoping to bold it but then seems like it didn't work under the code block!

below is the sessioninfo I got if this helps!

> sessionInfo()
R version 4.0.2 (2020-06-22)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Matrix products: default
BLAS:   /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

Random number generation:
 RNG:     Mersenne-Twister 
 Normal:  Inversion 
 Sample:  Rounding 
 
locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

other attached packages:
[1] forcats_0.5.0   stringr_1.4.0   dplyr_1.0.2     purrr_0.3.4     readr_1.3.1    
[6] tidyr_1.1.2     tibble_3.0.3    ggplot2_3.3.2   tidyverse_1.3.0

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
 [1] tidyselect_1.1.0 splines_4.0.2    haven_2.3.1      lattice_0.20-41  colorspace_1.4-1
 [6] vctrs_0.3.4      generics_0.0.2   mgcv_1.8-31      blob_1.2.1       rlang_0.4.7     
[11] pillar_1.4.6     glue_1.4.2       withr_2.3.0      DBI_1.1.0        dbplyr_1.4.4    
[16] modelr_0.1.8     readxl_1.3.1     lifecycle_0.2.0  munsell_0.5.0    gtable_0.3.0    
[21] cellranger_1.1.0 rvest_0.3.6      labeling_0.3     fansi_0.4.1      broom_0.7.1     
[26] Rcpp_1.0.5       backports_1.1.10 scales_1.1.1     jsonlite_1.7.1   farver_2.0.3    
[31] fs_1.5.0         hms_0.5.3        digest_0.6.25    stringi_1.5.3    grid_4.0.2      
[36] cli_2.0.2        tools_4.0.2      magrittr_1.5     crayon_1.3.4     pkgconfig_2.0.3 
[41] ellipsis_0.3.1   Matrix_1.2-18    xml2_1.3.2       reprex_0.3.0     lubridate_1.7.9 
[46] assertthat_0.2.1 httr_1.4.2       rstudioapi_0.11  R6_2.4.1         nlme_3.1-148    
[51] compiler_4.0.2  

Thanks! I'll try updating other packages as well. It is strange indeed since it's just one column that I'm missing.